News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Feature Request: Unthank

Posted on RTEsysadmin Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge Feature Request: Unthank

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        RTEsysadmin
        AskWoody Plus

I accidentally thanked a post that I shouldn’t have. I’ve looked, but I can’t find a way to undo it. I can imagine that such a feature might be very difficult if not impossible to add, but I thought I’d ask about it, anyway.

Group K(ill me now)
      • #2303180 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

I’ve done that occasionally, too.

Bottom line is that it isn’t part of the standard package that we’re using. It would cost a lot of money to fix it — and potentially introduce compatibility problems.

Sorry about that.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2303443 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

UPDATE: @Kirsty has found the magic incantation, and as of a few hours ago you can now un-thank folks….

9 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2303479 Reply
          access-mdb
          AskWoody MVP

Works a treat – though I doubt if I will make use of it – except for the test I did just now!

• #2303624 Reply
            Kirsty
            Da Boss

It’s mainly been requested on those odd occasions when Loungers have clicked Thanks instead of Reply, when they were wanting to counter the original post… even MVPs have been caught in the past 😉

• #2303638 Reply
              Microfix
              AskWoody MVP

It’s mainly been requested on those odd occasions when Loungers have clicked Thanks instead of Reply

Surely you meant [Quote] instead of [Reply] 🙂

Win8.1 Pro | Linux Hybrids | Win7 Pro O/L | WinXP O/L
          • #2303976 Reply
            RTEsysadmin
            AskWoody Plus

Hey! It says “Remove Thanks” now! Excellent! It’s the perfect solution for those of us who are still learning to use a mouse.

Thank you, @Kirsty!

Group K(ill me now)
      • #2303639 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Where can one read a description of this new procedure?

A situation where having it available would have been useful happened to me once, because I clicked on the wrong button, just as has been described here.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• #2303648 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Nothing written in stone yet.
        logs remain to be studied, errors scrutinized and the thankless task continues..

• #2303669 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

OK, Microfix ( #2303648 ), but reading the previous comments it looks like everybody commenting here but me knows how to use this new feature. How those going over the logs and etc. will know that one has”thanked” someone by mistake? It looks like it is something only the one who made the mistaken “thanking” is the one to take care of it, in practical terms. Otherwise, I don’t know how to understand this.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2303682 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

Oscar the ‘thanks’ button turns into an ‘unthank’ button 😉

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2303711 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Thank you so much for explaining this so clearly, Wavy.

Great idea, Kirsty! No need to remember how to do it, it’s all right there where one can see it every time it might be needed!

• #2303684 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

It may be time sensitive as are regular edits.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        • #2303712 Reply
          Kirsty
          Da Boss

Thank you Kirsty, has anyone told you you’re a miracle worker lately?

I’m able to remove thanks given, no matter the date. Maybe you could see if it’s an option visible to you, i.e. on one of your earlier posts?

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2303723 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Kirsty, that is fine, along as no one else can “unthank” my “thanks” for me. Otherwise it is the “troll” problem again.

Edited later to add this: Oh, yes, I see that now: that is how it works. Only the “thanker” can see the button to remove own thanks. Well done!

Also Wavy has observed that the time for “unthanking” may be limited to within a certain period that starts when one “thanks” someone. Well, I hope that is so. A short period, maybe one or two minutes long, should be enough time, as the realization of a mistaken “thanking” is likely to be quick. And a short period also protects against trolls.

• #2303775 Reply
              Kirsty
              Da Boss

Also Wavy has observed that the time for “unthanking” may be limited to within a certain period that starts when one “thanks” someone. Well, I hope that is so. A short period, maybe one or two minutes long, should be enough time, as the realization of a mistaken “thanking” is likely to be quick. And a short period also protects against trolls.

I don’t see any indication it works differently for admin accounts, our settings are ON or OFF – we have no discretion as to its limitations otherwise. I see your reasoning clearly, but it’s just not a control we possess.

• #2303726 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Kirsty: ” Maybe you could see if it’s an option visible to you, i.e. on one of your earlier posts?

Yes, I an see that. Thanks again.

• #2303693 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

[Sort of Off Topic]
        So, does the code allow one to unthank a post without having previously done a +Thank? Functionally a down-vote, but not anonymous?
        (I tried ‘coding’ these [ ] items using the LT/GT arrows < >, but they disappeared.
        I key in Text mode and review in Visual.)
        [Back to the Regularly Scheduled Topic]

I think that Microfix’s comments about logs and reviews refers to the programmers work of reviewing the implementation coding to ensure that it works consistently and without errors. (And probably precludes the Thanks count going negative.)

Microfix – Nay, not thankless. Once you post it, sit back from your screen and behold the Thanks that you get. (Y’all hear me? Thank him (them) profusely, he/they are feeling lonely and unThanked.)

• #2303708 Reply
          Kirsty
          Da Boss

We had an up/down vote system that became a target of trolls, so was removed early on. If you haven’t Thanks’ed, you most certainly cannot Remove Thanks!

• #2303716 Reply
            PaulK
            AskWoody Lounger

I kinda remember reading about that way back when, but that was about the era when I Registered so I hadn’t trialled it.

• #2303981 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Thankfully we can now unthank the thanks from thankers.
        Perhaps some need an instruction manual or even a book of thanks…woody!! LOL

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Feature Request: Unthank

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.