News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• February Update 20H2 – Telemetry changes

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 20H2 – October 2020 Update February Update 20H2 – Telemetry changes

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

After the February 2021 updates (KB4601319 and KB4601050), I noticed via O&O ShutUp10 that ‘dmwappushservice’ (Device Management WAP Push message Routing Service) switches from Disabled to Manual (Triggered) after some time (varies) from boot or resume from sleep.

If the service is again disabled, the same thing repeats itself.

What does ‘dmwappushservice’ do .. and why did this happen? Is this a bug or what?

anonymous

…What does ‘dmwappushservice’ do…

Direct quote from the service listing itself:

Routes Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) Push messages received by the device and synchronizes Device Management sessions

In a nutshell, it sounds like it helps a wirelessly connected computer keep its connection with other devices going smoothly, or at least it attempts to. It sounds like it’s not just for wireless networking but also for Bluetooth connections as well.

CBA
        AskWoody Plus

I posted some comments and amplifications to my ‘dmwappushservice’ query, but they were never posted. What’s up?

b
          AskWoody MVP

No posts have been removed from this thread.

CBA
        AskWoody Plus

No posts have been removed from this thread.

You are correct.  As they never showed up in this thread (after originally posting them), they were obviously not removed from the thread per se.

But, never mind, in the meantime I’m following the issue elsewhere .. checking what others with the same experience are doing.  Per Microsoft, the ‘dmwappushservice’ (or WAP Push Message Routing Service) startup type: Manual (OK to disable). Service required on client devices for Intune, MDM and similar mgmt technologies, and for Unified Write Filter.

It seems the issue is related to MDM (Windows failed to apply the MDM Policy settings), even though I’m not running a client device on an enterprise network.

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

I noticed via O&O ShutUp10 that ‘dmwappushservice’… switches from Disabled to Manual (Triggered) after some time (varies) from boot or resume from sleep. If the service is again disabled, the same thing repeats itself.

It sounds very much like the dmwappushservice is now subject to ‘remediation’. Do you have KB4023057 installed? If so, this is a likely culprit.

Note: In my experience, using apps (like ShutUp10 or Windows Update tweakers) which ‘fiddle’ with default settings, particularly Windows Update, seems to attract KB4023057. MS does NOT want you to change default settings. Note also that uninstalling KB4023057 does not appear to remove the added controls or undo its behaviour.

Hope this helps…

Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Oops… I forgot to add that a quick way of checking for whether KB4023057 is installed is to *right*-click on Start, open a PowerShell console (it doesn’t have to be elevated) then enter the following:

Get-Hotfix KB4023057

I knew I didn’t have it installed so I wasn’t surprised to see this:

get_hotfix

Hope this helps…

Attachments:
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

It sounds very much like the dmwappushservice is now subject to ‘remediation’. Do you have KB4023057 installed?

Thanks for the follow-up.  No, I don’t have that KB installed (as I hide #057 and its updated incarnations).  I re-checked installed updates and ran your PowerShell command.  Same output as you got.  Nix #057!

I’m working on other possible (MDM related) causes, but it’s complicated.  In the big scheme of things, this is a relatively minor one.  Perhaps the issue goes away by itself (timed), as have happened with some other users reporting the same problem.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: February Update 20H2 – Telemetry changes

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.