News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Fiber optic not available; options please

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Fiber optic not available; options please

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
        areader
        AskWoody Plus

Today I spoke with one of the linemen for the local phone system. He said forget about high speed internet for the forseeable future because my neighborhood will be one of the last ones in the city to get upgraded. Why? Because there are no overhead lines and all the digging involved is expensive and time consuming.

Currently I get Verizon “high speed” internet. It’s not fast enough to watch any videos and the high speed cuts out after 15G data per month. After that it’s slow, slow, slow. It’s not possible to increase that 15G limit.

Trying to do major Windows updates can take 36 straight hours and use up a large chunk of that 15G data allowance and I have 3 computers to update: desktop, laptop, and tablet. Trying to upgrade more than 1 computer at a time bogs everything down to total uselessness.

I don’t care about 99.9% of the stuff that comes in cable and satelite packages and none of the locally available options that I know of offer internet only. They all want to sell you sports and movie channels, for which they can charge extra. My preferred TV is PBS using a TV antenna, and even then, I go days without watching TV at all.

What do you people I suggest I change to for faster internet when my contract with Verizon runs out in about 3 months?

Viewing 0 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Fiber optic not available; options please

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.