News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• File Explorer: Should icons be thumbnails?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 File Explorer: Should icons be thumbnails?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Artie
        AskWoody Lounger

In Windows File Explorer, (upper-right corner), is the little drop down menu to select Icons, Details, List, etc. When I select “icons”, shouldn’t I get a thumbnail of the image file? Even if I select the “preview pane” switch, I still get the generic image icon.

I hope these pics load properly.

Windows_About-1
        Windows_back_01-1
        Windows_back_02-1

b
        AskWoody MVP

At Folder Options, View tab, uncheck “Always show icons, never thumbnails”.

(Is that the standard Windows 10 File Explorer or are you using Classic/Open Shell?)

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1149 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        PKCano
        Manager

Right click on the top bar and unhide the ribbon so you have a menu with more options/choices.

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

Instead of showing the files in the Wallpaper > MyOwn folder from an Open dialog window that has no Explorer Ribbon, try navigating to the folder direct (not from within a program) in File Explorer to see if there is a difference.
        The Explorer Ribbon will then be available to show or be already showing.

b
        Artie
        AskWoody Lounger

Duh! That was it. Thanks PK.

Also, I always have the full ribbon view. I’m not exactly sure what I did when I grabbed those screenshots. But thanks everyone for the super speedy responses.

Artie
        AskWoody Lounger

It was actually AskWoody MVP that gave me the working answer. But thanks to all.

b
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: File Explorer: Should icons be thumbnails?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.