News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• File History downgraded in W11?

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » File History downgraded in W11?

Author
    Topic

It looks like the Settings app for File History has been removed.  There is still a Control Panel app for FH, but it does not let you select folders to include, only folders to exclude.

In W10 I used FH every couple of weeks to back up my docs and photos on an external hard drive, including things I had saved on OneDrive, which is most of my things these days.  The hard drive normally lives in a fire resistant box when it is not being used.  I am just not confident that ransomware or some other disaster could affect my OneDrive docs such that I could not get at them.

Today I used Macrium Reflect to image my internal SSD, which is definitely overkill just for my OneDrive docs, but it seemed the easiest solution.

Would OneDrive’s earlier versions protect me from ransomware, or could it encrypt them like files on my SSD?  Any other suggestions for protecting my docs?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

The most straight-forward method of creating a backup of your source files is to create a batch file that copies files from your hard drive to an external hard drive.

On Hiatus {with backup and coffee}
      offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
      offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
      online▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.804 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox86.0 WindowsDefender TRV=20H2 WuMgr
      1 user thanked author for this post.

Try using the free version of ViceVersa PRO. It is a handy utility for syncing files to an external drive.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: File History downgraded in W11?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.