News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Finding/ Installing Video Drivers (And it's Terrors)

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Finding/ Installing Video Drivers (And it's Terrors)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Just read this this AM:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/intel-fixes-high-severity-vulnerabilities-in-graphics-driver-for-windows/

Now, I have only changed a video driver ONCE years ago, and it was, in short, terrifying. Questions:

This is my only PC at the moment, a laptop, and it’s mission critical. To me, changing video drivers is like swapping eyeballs; if something goes haywire, you’ve blinded yourself, and now you can’t see what you’re doing.

Of course, if I DID update the driver (whichever one it is-Intel doesn’t make it easy on you, save to download their software and let IT find all the drivers you need) I’d image everything first with Macrium Reflect (free version, I made a Rescue Disk),l then go through that agony.

But I don’t want to pull on something that’s working fine if the exploits are not being found in the wild. I mean, for the worst of them, you have to have physical access to the machine, as I read it.

Haven’t seen anything on Woody on this, so I thought I’d throw out the question as to how necessary, and how risky it really is. Stats Below, thoughts, please!

Thanks to the group in advance!

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --
      "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #342197 Reply

Sinclair
      AskWoody Lounger

The only ones who would need the user’s attention are CVE-2018-18090 and CVE-2018-18091 that would trigger a DoS state.

Intel recommends that users of Intel Graphics Driver for Windows update to versions:

10.18.x.5057 (aka 15.36.x.5057)
      10.18.x.5059 (aka 15.33.x.5059)
      20.19.x.5063 (aka 15.40.x.5063)
      21.20.x.5064 (aka 15.45.x.5064)
      24.20.100.6373 or later.

Most of these are already old releases that have the fix. Just use the latest available driver for your system. Intel almost never releases new drivers for older versions of its graphic chips.

Intel Drivers & Software Download Center.

W7 x64 Pro&Home

• #342228 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Already discussed briefly at New Intel hardware drivers (found by searching for “Intel”).

And at post #341545 (same search).

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #342615 Reply

JohnW
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the Intel graphics driver update! I had no clue one was available until I read this thread.

I have an Ivy Bridge CPU with Intel HD Graphics 2500, and I had been under the impression that Intel was not planning any further updates beyond their “as-is” update issued for Win10 a few years ago. So I wasn’t really expecting anything.

But I checked the “Intel Drivers and Download Center” and found an update for my system.

I just installed it without any issues, and it is working well! Reboot required, of course. 🙂

*Windows 10 Pro 1803*

• #342618 Reply

JohnW
      AskWoody Plus

I think that worst case if you did install a bad graphics driver that wouldn’t load and you had a blank screen or a BSOD or something, you could boot into safe mode which would be using the default Windows graphics driver and uninstall the bad new driver.

• #342653 Reply

JohnW,

Thanks for the input!

I went to that same site, but wound up in 2 different places using their navigation and /filter-out scripts, and they seemed to contradict each other; one said they didn’t have a driver, one did.  Kinda puzzling.

Also, I posted something additional on this yesterday, and something happened to IT…it disappeared! So, questions remain:

When Intel speaks of “4000 generation“, “5000 generation” etc, does that mean something like “Series”, i.e.:

*   Processor Graphics Information   *

Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Video BIOS: 2158.12

Report Date: 3/16/2019

Report Time[hh:mm:ss]: 14:52:59

———————

Driver Version: 9.17.10.3040

Operating System: Windows 7  Service Pack 1(6.1.7601)

Default Language: English (United States)

DirectX* Version: 11.0

Physical Memory: 4001 MB

Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9

Processor Speed: 2890 MHz

Vendor ID: 8086

———————————————-

Now here’s where it gets interesting: not using the “Product and OS filter, it looks, offhand, that this is the right one:

2019-03-17-14_44_42-Downloads-for-Graphics-Drivers

Use the “Filter by OS, product, etc.” and I get nothing applicable.

Sorry if I seem a bit dense.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --

Attachments:
      • #342673 Reply

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

NTDBD, if you are sure you are “Ivy Bridge”, then you have a 3rd gen Intel Core CPU, and there is only one latest graphics driver download for that: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28164/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=97499

The graphics version such as “Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000” is just the release of the graphics processor on that CPU.  The key to knowing your Intel generation is in the CPU nomenclature, i.e., Intel Core i3-3420 (my CPU). It is 3rd gen because the CPU number is i3-3xxx. 4th gen would be i3-4xxx, and so on up to the latest. More info here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/79666/legacy-intel-core-processors.html

The “ReadMe” file for that driver download states:

Release Version: Production Version
        Driver Version: 10.18.10.5059
        Release Date: September 5, 2018

Operating System(s):   
        	Microsoft Windows* 7-64
        	Microsoft Windows* 8.1-64
        	Microsoft Windows* 10-64 - Anniversary Update
        	Microsoft Windows* 10-64 - Creators Update
        	Microsoft Windows* 10-64 - Fall Creators Update

Platforms:
        	3rd Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family (Codename Ivy Bridge)
        	Bay Trail
    • #342768 Reply

JohnW,

Thanks for the input. Speccy says:

Speccy-CPU
      Speccy-Graphics

…and the sticker on the PC/Laptop says “Intel core i5”

I’m pretty sure my specs at the bottom are right. Are we on the same page?

--

Attachments:
      • #342836 Reply

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Yep, looks good. That 5059 driver applies to both of our systems, as they are both “Ivy Bridge”. Although yours is i5-3380M, it is the i(x)-3(xxx) CPU that indicates the generation.

“Ivy Bridge” is the third gen Intel core CPU architecture.

That driver also applies to Windows 7 through Windows 10.

• #343094 Reply

Thanks, JohnW!

The Powers That Be never seem to make it clear in their descriptive call-outs, at least not to me, and my wife and I were both Technical Writers! So much flim-flam, flummery, troubled waters, broken mirrors, marketing rigmarole, etc, etc. To paraphrase Anthony Quinn’s tortured cry in the movie”Barabbas”, “Why can’t Intel make itself clear??”

As an inadequate payment for all your help, here’s a chuckle from way back in the day:

http://www.sjgames.com/svtarot/net/

I guess my card would be “The Garage”.

Pay attention to the “Sysadmin” card-too true!

Be Well, and (as a 1/4 Irishman) hope you had a good St. Patties day!

--

• #343195 Reply

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Ha! Fun cards! I believe that I traded in my “Sysadmin” card for a “Sea of Cubicles”, where I encountered the “Consultant”, and finally retired to the “Garage”.

Ok, gotta run along now. Time to load up a new Linux distro on my USB flash drive… 🙂

• #346467 Reply

ilader
      AskWoody Lounger

There seems to be no organization to the Microsoft Download Center. When I’ve asked them how to search, they say to use Bing  including the term “Microsoft” at the end of the search. Am I missing something?

• #346530 Reply

anonymous

Yep you can spend hours looking for some software thing via the download center. You will need to know what software to get with specific key words, the search on Microsoft does not seem to be effective.

As for using Bing as you have been told, those directions may only give you some some safe results. If this search is for device drivers you will get a pile of junk to sift through for the effort.

They want to you to use Bing, but the right limiting filter for Bing, Google or DuckDuckGo is site:microsoft.com  You will still need some good keywords to find something.

If you were wanting to install a Microsoft Driver to fix issues with something from a third party, do not do it except as a last resort. Go to the Manufacturer’s site first.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Finding/ Installing Video Drivers (And it's Terrors)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.