News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Finding the missing font file(s)

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Finding the missing font file(s)

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I’m very fond of the Book Antiqua font. The problem is that I can’t find its .ttf file. When I poke through the fonts directory in Explorer and open the ‘Book Antiqua font family details’ I can right click on the Book Antiqua Regular entry and its properties say that the font file is “BKANT.TTF”. BUT:

C:\Windows\Fonts>dir bk*
        Volume in drive C is OS
        Volume Serial Number is AE23-8184

Directory of C:\Windows\Fonts

File Not Found

So where is that .ttf file? I searched all of c:\windows and c:\users and its not in any of those places. ????

• #2086754 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

bkant.ttf is Book Antiqua font.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-list/book-antiqua

Many download links :

https://www.google.com/search?q=Book+Antiqua.ttf

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Alex5723.
      • #2086771 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I know that, but I can’t find the file, itself, anywhere on my system.  I’m using it now and it is the default font i use in my email client and in Word.

I’ve found it!!  It is someplace I haven’t located yet in c:\windows\users\win10\appdata\local\packages

And it is one of the 80 packages in that directory.

Is there some way to move those “hidden” fonts into the fonts directory so that other programs can find them?  UGH

• #2086793 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

Here is the complete path to the long-lost font file:

Directory of C:\Users\win10\AppData\Local\Packages\DB6EA5DB.PowerMediaPlayerforDell_mcezb6ze687jp\LocalCache\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts

11/12/1998 07:18 AM (155,528) BKANT.TTF
        1 File(s) 155,528 bytes

Why the hell is it there and not in the fonts directory????

• #2086803 Reply
          berniec
          AskWoody Plus

More to the point: is there a way to *move* them to the fonts directory?  I’m pondering [but worried that I’ll screw up my system] to “remove” the fonts, then “install” them from that bizarre appdata\local directory and might that work to put them in their proper place?

I notice, though that there seem to be duplicated fonts in that directory.  In addition to BKANT.TTF it seems that there are also

11/12/1998 07:18 AM (151,000) ANTQUAB.ttf
          11/12/1998 07:18 AM (150,416) ANTQUABI.TTF
          11/12/1998 07:18 AM (149,092) ANTQUAI.TTF

Which are the bold/italic/bolditalic versions.  In the font directory, it know that “book Antigua” is a font famaily [and, indeed, when you look inside the “family” you find exactly those four .ttf files.   I’m not sure how windows knows that those form a ‘family’ [and so knows how to do the right thing when you tell Word {italic}.

• #2086812 Reply
        anonymous

Sounds like the font was installed by PowerMediaPlayerforDell. You should be OK to copy and install that font to the windows font folder.

• #2086821 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I was thinking that, but you have to go slower for me.  There are five files in play as I look at the fonts directory:  the Book Antique entry which I presume is actually IN the fonts directory or somewhere and it is a container of some sort for the four .ttf files off in no-mans-land.  All five of those are marked “installable”.   You can’t un-mount them or whatever, the only choice I get is “delete”.  I can delete the main file {Book Antiqua} and maybe it’ll delete the four internal files also, but I certainly don’t want to do that.   I dove down into that directory and see that the .ttf files do have “install” as one of the options.

There are 27 ttf files in there — could it be as easy as just ‘install’ing each one?   Will they all “meet” in the font directory [and so I won’t have four book antiqua fonts in my fonts list but it’ll just be the parent “book antiqua”

beyond that, ttf files all have funny names [like LETTERGI.ttf] but I guess I don’t need to know what they actually are. I suppose I can just “install” one of them [on some font I don’t really care about :)] and see what happens.  Since none of those directories changes if it gets screwed up I can [hopefully] put it all back as it was by restoring the fonts directory and the strange other-directory from a recent backup

• #2086858 Reply
        anonymous

In my experience choose the ones you want and right-click install. Many font packages have for example an italic font but the regular font will pick it up if the program you use has that option.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Finding the missing font file(s)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.