News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Firefox 71.0 – Is it safe or not?

Posted on Charlie Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  EP 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Charlie
      AskWoody Plus

There’s been a lot of talk about the newest Firefox update 71.  Some say it’s okay, some don’t like it even though it apparently works, and at least one person said it crashed and ruined their previous FF version.  I tend to cringe when people get arrows in their backs, or even stung by BB shots.

So, I’m still waiting to either hear some better news or see a new FF update 71.0.1 come out which will fix the problems occurring for some people.

Win 7 Still Alive, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Groups B & L

• #2017088 Reply

anonymous

? says:

i was wondering about the same thing, Charlie. it just showed up as a security patch for Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.04 a few minutes ago. i could not find any new information on the google just now only the link to Woody’s (G.Born) post here a few days ago.

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/born-reported-profile-problems-with-the-newly-updated-firefox/

borncity link within:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/firefox-71-and-68-3-0-upgrade-issues/

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2017136 Reply

mledman
        AskWoody Plus

The profile problem occurs if you or your IT Department created a policies.json file, used to modify firefox in an enterprise environment.  The other known issue:

Some Windows users who had previously installed and uninstalled Comodo antivirus software may not be able to start Firefox. Information on how to resolve this issue is described on support.mozilla.org or in the support knowledgebase.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2017846 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

If you’re the same anonymous as in the “2 versions of firefox” thread I just replied to, you’ve already upgraded, but if not/for anyone else, my old profile from previous versions of Firefox works fine with 71.  I do not have a policies.json file.

Of course, if the Firefox profile matters at all to a given user, it should be backed up!  Data that is not backed up is data that you don’t care if you lose.  I know no one wants to have to restore their profiles, but it’s a lot better than losing them.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.5).

• #2019916 Reply

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Have you updated to 71 yet on your Ubuntu?  I have Mint and am wondering whether to update it to 71 just yet.  Is the fact that they allowed 71 to show up as an update count as a positive?

• #2019922 Reply

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

@charlie – I have updated to 71 on one computer running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and on one computer running Mint 19.2. Both are running fine and seem to have kept my preference settings. The update on each machine came through the software update manager, so presumably it was sanctioned by Ubuntu and Mint.

FWIW, I’ve also updated to 71 two Win 7, one Win 8.1, and one High Sierra iMAC computers. All of these are also running fine and appear to have kept the previous settings.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  DrBonzo.
    • #2017095 Reply

Carl D
      AskWoody Lounger

I updated to 71.0 a few days back (I did say in a previous post somewhere that I was going to wait a while but I always have Macrium images to save me if something goes wrong).

Working well with no problems so far. Windows 10 1909 64bit. Can’t imagine there is anything seriously wrong with 71 or surely they would have pulled or updated it by now?

Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H Motherboard, Intel i5-7600 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics Card, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 1909 64bit.

• #2017135 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Plus

One of the comments by a subscriber to the G. Born site said that 71 has problems with Win 7. I hate to think that’s the case.  I’m still holding out a bit longer.  I don’t have the luxury of a test computer to see what’s going to happen.

• #2017371 Reply

mtman6698
      AskWoody Plus

Been using 71.0 on Win 7 since it was available. No problems.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  mtman6698.
    • #2017536 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Plus

Well, it’s sounding better as long as you don’t have a polices.json file.  I’m not seeing any reports of FF71 crashing & burning, so maybe in another day or so I’ll give it try.

• #2018659 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Plus

I forgot to ask how that Picture-In-Picture and that new-fangled MP3 thing is working?  Has anyone tried them?  Does anyone really need them?  Just wondering.

I almost gave in to the temptation to update today but decided against it.  I’m going out shopping and I want to stay in a good mood.

• #2018664 Reply

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

Win7X64, home premium, AMD.   No problems with it so far.

• #2019149 Reply

anonymous

? says:

Firefox 71 works but they changed “about config,” by moving away from UXL to HTML and JavaScript.

see:

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/11/11/firefox-71-new-aboutconfig-interface-lands/

includes a chrome work-a-round in the article…

• #2019601 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Plus

Okay, I just bit the bullet and updated to FF 71.  So far things look the same and it’s running fine.  I don’t use the “about config” function much so that’s not a problem for now.  Thanks to all for your help and replies.    🙂

• #2019671 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

Okay, I just bit the bullet and updated to FF 71. So far things look the same and it’s running fine. I don’t use the “about config” function much so that’s not a problem for now. Thanks to all for your help and replies.

That is true… it would be unusual for someone to spend more than a tiny percentage of time in about:config.  Still, the removal of the direct links to prefs feature is a fairly big loss, particularly for new users, who don’t really “get” the whole searching for a pref thing.  Lots of sites used that to direct people to the exact pref they needed to change with no muss and no fuss.  I guess no one mentioned that Chrome has direct links to flags (“Chrome does it that way” usually being the magic words to make Mozilla do whatever it is that is being mentioned).

I know that the aim is to remove the XUL from Firefox completely, but that doesn’t imply changing the UI to be less useful.  They could recreate the old UI with the new code just as easily as they created the new UI.  They’re following the abominable recent trend of minimalism, both in information presented and in functionality (the most egregious example of which of which I know being GNOME 3 in the Linux world).  This is a fad that needs to fade into oblivion right now.

• #2019852 Reply

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

Ten four on the minimalism.  They’re rapidly going from the good looking 3D icons, etc. to 2D with more and more plain black, grey, and white.  Thank goodness I can still get my Windows  7 colors to show.  At least for now that is.

• #2019974 Reply

Ascaris
            AskWoody_MVP

Charlie, I saw in your other message that you also have a Mint installation, in addition to the Windows 7 one.  In all of the desktop environments I’ve tried in Linux, you’re able to change the icon theme as easily as the other kinds of themes, and while some of them follow the trend of monochromatic wire-frames, you can switch it to something more suitable.  I am currently using the KDE Oxygen icon theme, which can be used with other desktop environments too.

The minimalistic, flat look is “in” right now,  but humans are still adapted to dealing with 3d objects in 3d space, since that’s the way of the world we (and scores of generations before us) live(d) in outside of computer screens, which we’ve only been using for a very small bit of human history.  Our minds are still biologically adapted to identifying and interacting with 3d objects, which means that working with skeuomorphic UI elements is hardware accelerated in our brains, in a manner of speaking, while more abstract, flat UI elements are all decoded in software.  There was a study that was cited in The Register that showed that there was a significant speed advantage using skeuomorphic UI elements over their allegedly more stylish and modern counterparts.

That, of course, does not mean skeuomorphism has to be taken to the ridiculous degree that it was in the latter part of the 1990s, with programs imitating leather-bound books on a shelf, that when opened would feature simulations of dog-eared, aged paper or parchment pages.  There only has to be enough to engage the parts of our brains that recognize 3d objects (like buttons in a dialog box) as immediately being of importance.  The goal is not to fool ourselves into thinking we’re actually using the metaphoric objects represented… just to use the illusion of a third dimension (that’s 50% more dimensions than a strictly flat-styled page!) to convey useful information to the user.  That’s what a UI is for, and things like trends or style or “looking beautiful” take a back seat to functonality… or at least they should. 

• #2037345 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

well Charlie the year 2019 is nearly over and it does not look like a Firefox 71.0.1 release will be made

next scheduled Firefox release is 72 coming on Jan. 7, 2020

• #2037429 Reply

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

OH JOY. . . and Version 71 has been working great on both my main Win 7 desktop and Linux Mint laptop.  See my post above, it’s #2019601.  Yes, it sure looks like monthly updates for FF.

• #2051730 Reply

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

um Firefox 72 just came out on January 7, 2020 and then a 72.0.1 release followed on January 8

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Firefox 71.0 – Is it safe or not?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.