News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Firefox 72+ Strict Fingerprinting Gives Interesting Results

Posted on joecoolfiftyfive Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Firefox 72+ Strict Fingerprinting Gives Interesting Results

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Carl.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        joecoolfiftyfive
        AskWoody Plus

Has anyone else turned on ‘Strict’ Fingerprinting in FF? Is there a way to turn this setting off for individual sites? So far I can only find an ‘All or Nothing’ setting. The issue I am having is in my weather and solar panel tracking sites. They both (apparently) use the browser time and date to show me data translating my home time zone to the one in the browser, which FF sets to UCT for obfuscation of fingerprinting. Since I really am home but playing with the browser security settings I would like to disable this time switch for these two site so I can see the weather and solar generation without having to do simple math in my head. Another interesting ‘feature’ is that one of the sites can’t show me any data once UTC rolls over to tomorrow because the graph sets itself up for showing me tomorrow which hasn’t happened where I am yet.

I have a simple solution that is working and will use if there is not a site specific way of bypassing the fingerprint solution. I simply keep another browser brand that I don’t like ready to use for those two sites.

Thanks,
        -jc

• #2172752 Reply
        Carl
        AskWoody Plus

You can click the shield icon to disable the site being visited and turn off fingerprinting for the entire session, but it doesn’t stick – at least not on the portable versions I use.

I just checked about:config and didn’t see any options for site specific white or blacklists, but it certainly seems to be a plausible request since NoScript does things on a per site basis.

Have you looked around to see if any extensions are available that meet your needs?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Carl.
        • #2173163 Reply
          joecoolfiftyfive
          AskWoody Plus

Funny clicking on the shield does not disable the fingerprinting (I think) since the web site still carries the UTC time.

• #2173184 Reply
            anonymous

What @Carl is saying is that you need to click the shield icon for the site you’re visiting and turn off all tracking protection for that site by clicking the slider button that shows up in the box that comes up when you click the shield icon. BTW, in the regular version (non portable version) the setting “sticks” once you set it for a given site.

However, there may be an alternative. The following couple of sentences only apply if you’re using Windows. Right click at the top of the Firefox window and that will bring up a context menu. Now select the option labeled “Menu Bar”. That will now allow you to see a menu of choices at the top left side of the Firefox window.

If you’re using Linux or a Mac, try to see if there’s a way to get the menu bar to show at the top of the Firefox window if it’s not there by default.

Now, go to the page you’re having problems with for fingerprinting. From that menu bar at the top of the Firefox window, click the choice that says “Tools” and then the one that says “Page Info”.

In the resulting smaller window, click the tab that says “Permissions” and you’ll see a bunch of choices relating to the permissions that have been set for that particular page. One of the items is called “Extract Canvas Data” and it might be the third or fourth one down the list but it will be there. It will probably have a check mark in the box that says “Use Default”. If it does, simply click the box to clear the check mark and then click the circular button that says “Allow”. Now simply close the box, purge the cache, and reload the page. Hopefully this will solve your predicament with the fingerprinting.

Please note, you’ll then have to repeat the process of enabling the “Extract Canvas Data” permission for the other site you need, as this permission is on a per-site basis.

If this doesn’t correct your problem, then hopefully @Microfix may be able to help, as @Microfix has been of tremdous help to those with past Firefox issues.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2173261 Reply
        anonymous

this article may be of assistance:

https://pureinfotech.com/disable-content-blocking-per-website-firefox/

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2173415 Reply
        joecoolfiftyfive
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks to anonymous (*2) I was able to disable fingerprinting for the individual sites – great instructions. However, they don’t seem to work. So I tried turning off the fingerprinting for firefox (all sites) using custom settings to disable all but the browser time (see http://www.clocktab.com) still shows UTC time.

• #2173433 Reply
        Carl
        AskWoody Plus

joecoolfiftyfive,

Are you using Windows, Linux, or Android? Are you using a VPN or anything else that might mask your IP address?

I just checked the link for clocktab and it correctly displayed EST for me. Sites such as those generally use the IP address to determine the region/location for time display. If a match can’t be made in their lookup tables, they generally display UTC or GMT. It’s also possible that they’re using outdated lookups.

The browser doesn’t display the time, the web site does. Browsers, like most software, rely on the OS/BIOS to retrieve time for date/time functions.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Firefox 72+ Strict Fingerprinting Gives Interesting Results

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.