News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Firefox 73, 0Patch Incompatability

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Firefox 73, 0Patch Incompatability

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Geo
        AskWoody Plus

If you have  0 patch installed, when you update to Firefox 73 it will crash Firefox.  Uninstall 0patch until a fix is offered.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2139581 Reply
        Geo
        AskWoody Plus

Here’s the 0patch announcement.Mozilla Firefox 73 can crash upon launching when 0patch Agent is installed – Help Center

• #2140054 Reply
        AJNorth
        AskWoody Plus

FWIW, I purchased a license for 0Patch Pro for one of my Win 7 Pro x64 machines on 2020.02.11 (after running the free version for fourteen days); it appears to be working without any issues.

Firefox ESR (x64), both the installed and portable versions, were updated to version 68.5.0 yesterday; both continue to work flawlessly (as do Slimjet 25.0.8.0, x32 & x64).

(Intel Core i7-3820 QM; 16 GB DDR3; Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB.)

Moderator note: Duplicate/Triplicate posting is not allowed
        https://www.askwoody.com/posts-and-privacy/user-account-general-rules/

• #2140834 Reply
        pandarunnerpt
        AskWoody Plus

I have had 0Patch installed since 11/18/19, updated the Microsoft January updates at the end of January (.NET,  Security and Quality, and Servicing Stack  – prior to that I had been Group B) and, since I had been a Firefox Beta user, had already run into the crashing issue earlier last month. I had reverted to the Firefox release version at that time and solved the problem.

Today the problem recurred with Firefox’s update to 73 (64bit). I implemented the Command Prompt fix (linked below) that was given in the blog post on the 0Patch site (and was also sent to me as a paid user), which solved the problem while they work on a redesign so as not to conflict.

As an added benefit, I was able to return to Firefox Beta and am now running 74.0b3 with no problem. I still notice several 0Patch micropatches being implemented as necessary so everything seems to be functioning as it should.

For me uninstalling 0Patch was not necessary.

https://0patch.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011227079-Mozilla-Firefox-73-can-crash-upon-launching-when-0patch-Agent-is-installed

Win 7 Professional, 64 bit, Defiantly Group B

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2151580 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

an upcoming Firefox 73.0.1 release may soon be available on Tues. Feb. 18 as I’m currently beta testing an RC build of FF 73.0.1.

• #2152938 Reply
        Geo
        AskWoody Plus

Firefox 73.0.1  fixed the 0patch problem.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Firefox 73, 0Patch Incompatability

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.