News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Firefox 85 released

• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        ClearThunder
        AskWoody Plus

It still shows 85.0 as a Beta for download.  Last release should be 84.0.2

Kirsty
        Manager

Firefox 85 removes Flash and adds protection against supercookies
        Firefox now joins Chrome and Edge, both of which removed support for Flash earlier this month.

By Catalin Cimpanu | January 26, 2021

Mozilla has released today Firefox 85 to the stable channel, a new version of its beloved browser that removes support for the Adobe Flash Player plugin but also boosts privacy protections by adding more comprehensive defenses against “supercookies.”

Read the full article here

3 users thanked author for this post.
        PFC
        AskWoody Plus

I just clicked Help\About and it updated itself after a restart and restored opened tabs

Kirsty
          Manager

Once updates are issued for general release, they can take up to a couple of days to arrive (same with Chrome).

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Given Firefox ESR is at 85, this seems like a wasted effort by the PortableApps team.

cheers, Paul

satrow
            AskWoody MVP

There’s a period of around 3 months of overlap when a new ESR is released, the ‘older’ but still current/updated/supported is Firefox ESR 78.7.0 released January 26, 2021.

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

Out of curiosity, where can you get Firefox 85 ESR?
        Folks use ‘PortableApps’ for a variety of reasons, Firefox don’t do them as far as I know.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Moonshine.
        AskWoody Lounger

Out of curiosity, where can you get Firefox 85 ESR?
        Folks use ‘PortableApps’ for a variety of reasons, Firefox don’t do them as far as I know.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Moonshine.

Unless I am misunderstanding, the most recent ESR 78.7.0.  The regular Firefox is version 85.0.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#firefox-desktop-esr

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/enterprise/

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

So, is the FF 85 update behaving itself?  Anyone noticing any problems?  I haven’t updated just yet as a precaution.  This goes for Linux as well as Windows.

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

I installed 85 on 2 Win 8.1 computers last night, surfed around for a while and experienced no issues. On Friday I’ll probably install 85 on some Mint 19.2 Cinnamon machines.

anonymous

I’ve just gotten FF 85.0 offered from Linux Mint 20.0(HWE Kernel 5.8 instead of 5.4) and since FF 84.2 I’ve has issues on my newest Laptop(ASUS TUF 505DY-WH51 with AMD Ryzen 5 3550H/RX 560X Discrete mobile GPU). So hardware acceleration and YouTube do not play nicely  with the Vega Integrated graphics/whatever hardware acceleration  that’s made use of. So I’ve got to be able to disable hardware acceleration for FF 84.2 to play YouTube videos properly.

So I’ll need to see if FF 85.0 still has the ability to disable Hardware Acceleration before I’ll remove the hold that I’ve placed on that update in Linux Mint’s update manager. I’m running the Hardware Enablement(HWE) Kernel 5.8 on that laptop for obvious reasons as the laptop needs Kernel 5.6 or newer to operate properly so Kernel 5.4 is too old for that.

I guess that my issues with Firefox on Mint 20.0 and YouTube may be related to the Newer Kernel or maybe the fact that I gave not installed some multimedia codecs yet but really I’m not going to remain on Mint 20.0 too much longer anyways after I get a New M.2/NVMe SSD as I’ve got a Linux Mint 20.1(“Edge” ISO with the Linux 5.8 HWE Kernel)  Live  USB waiting to get Mint 20.1 clean installed alongside Windows 10 re-imaged to the new M.2/NVM SSD for the laptop.

So as long as FF 85 Keeps the ability to disable Hardware Acceleration I’ll update after doing the usual amount of vetting before installing that, mostly checking here at Askwoody and Ghacks/others for any issues with FF 85 that may need a point release from Mozilla.

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Installed the FF 85 update on Win 7 and all seems to be okay.  One thing though – I checked memory use in Task Manager and Firefox is using around 630 Megabytes, and I only have one webpage up and running – this one.  Seems a bit excessive to me, but maybe uBlock Origin is adding to that too.

Have not updated my Linux Mint computer yet.

Bob99

Just checked in Win 10 x64 Pro ver. 2004, and I have the same as you…only this page open, and my copy of FF85 is currently using only about 325 megs of memory. I don’t have uBlock anything running; I don’t use it only the default protections built into FF, along with some about:config tweaking to help a little.

Bill C.
        AskWoody Plus

I just found a major feature removal in FF85. The printing options no longer have the “Simplify Page” option.

That was one of the best and most valuable FF features for me as it eliminated the various page icons and HTML anomalies and dropped the blank or nearly blank pages from burning paper or increasing the pages in a PDF file.

I guess it means downloading an older version or moving to see if the ESR version still has it. Mozilla seem to be making it harder to stick with FF.

mledman
          AskWoody Plus

Print preview FF85 – is this what you are looking for?

Screenshot-2021-02-01-175448

Win 10 home - 20H2
          Attitude is a choice...Choose wisely

Attachments:
        anonymous

? says:

not offered yet on ubuntu. as Ascaris has explained more “features,” seem to be falling by the wayside with each new version:

Firefox 85 is Here, But Mozilla is Killing PWA Features

Tip: Use Firefox for Web Apps

i did not know about the now disappeared pwa function…

anonymous

? says:

i was offered ff85 yesterday and decided to revert to 78.7.0 ESR using microfix’s post #2271508 “How do i switch firefox to esr on linux mint.”

so far so good…

anonymous

I just Downloaded FF 85 for my Linux Mint 20/HWE Kernel(5.8.0-41) laptop and hardware acceleration was working fine on my Laptop, ASUS FX505DY(Ryzen 5 3550H/RX 560X) laptop,  and now after installing this update ubuntu-drivers-common 1:0.8.6.5~0.20.04.1 the hardware acceleraation is broken again and YouTube/other videos do not work again in FF 85! And this is the 2nd ubuntu-drivers-update in the past 2 days and FF 85’s hardware acceleration is broken again. So I have to disable that once again in FF just like I had to do for FF 84.2.

Viewing 14 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Firefox 85 released

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.