News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Firefox and Firefox ESR Updates!

Viewing 36 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Point release for a critical issue fixed. (pending CVE),
        that bring Firefox up to 85.0.1 and ESR to 78.7.1
        More info on Mozilla official Security site

Is now available via firefox update channel (that was quick, must be important)
        Alternatively, also available via mozilla Public FTP

W10, the itch you simply cannot scratch!
        8 users thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

? says:

thank you, microfix.

Commit Log for Sat Feb  6 10:35:02 2021
        Upgraded the following packages:
        firefox-esr (78.7.0esr+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 78.7.1esr+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

ff 85 security package still not showing, yet…

2 users thanked author for this post.
          anonymous

Hamburger menu>Help>About Firefox

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

? says:

i guess the security problem only pertains to windows:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2021-06/

the rest are a few bug fixes:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/85.0.1/releasenotes/

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

? says: i guess the security problem only pertains to windows:

It seems that way, I haven’t as yet seen the Firefox 85.0.1 update on Linux Mint.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        anonymous

? says:

my firefox 85.0.1 ship just came in:

Commit Log for Mon Feb  8 17:20:12 2021
        firefox (85.0+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 85.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
        firefox-locale-en (85.0+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 85.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

so, all caught up, for now…

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

And…
        Hot on the heels of 85.0.1 comes Firefox 85.0.2 now in the FTP
        https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/85.0.2/

nothing yet the official release page, stay tuned..
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/85.0.2/releasenotes/

Looks like it’s specific to the mainstream fatfox only, nothing for ESR 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Microfix.
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

It seems like this is a fix for Mac’s.  Look at this info. from Ghacks:

“Released for all supported desktop operating systems, Firefox 85.0.2 fixes an issue that is exclusive to certain devices running Apple’s Macintosh operating system.  The issue was reported two months ago. The reporter stated that the issue affected Mac OS Big Sur and Mac OS Caralina devices running Firefox, and that Firefox would hang when trying to launch a new window from the context menu using the icon on the Dock.”

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/09/firefox-85-0-2-is-out-with-a-single-deadlock-fix

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Well……

Mozilla to release Firefox 85.0.2 later today on Feb 9, 2021
          The update fixes Firefox’s freezing issue on startup on Windows, Linux, and Mac platforms.
          The issue may have existed for years but brought to Mozilla’s attention two months back

source: Venkat over on Techdows

Charlie
            AskWoody Plus

True but it only shows how to reproduce the issue on a Mac.

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

ESR will get it in the upcoming FF 78.8.x ESR release coming this late February.

MVP Edit: removal of repetition

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by EP.
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I still have not even gotten the FF 85.0.1 update yet in my Linux Mint Update Manager.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I still have not even gotten the FF 85.0.1 update yet in my Linux Mint Update Manager.

FF is already at 85.0.2

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

But the Ubuntu version is still at 85.0.1. If the fix in 85.0.2 is indeed only a Mac issue, they may not make the update available. I only saw a reference to the freezing on the Mac in the Bugzilla issue, and if someone had reported it on the other platforms, it should have been added to the field of platforms affected.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.21.5 User Edition)

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

but FF 85.0.2 is currently available for mac & Windows users (if they’re using the FF auto update feature), Alex5723.

note to Charlie: try downloading Firefox 85.0.2 for Linux manually from the Mozilla site instead of relying on Linux Mint’s update manager

edit – and yes the Ubuntu version of Firefox is currently at 85.0.1 as I recently checked the Ubuntu repositories

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by EP.
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve had this happen before with FF updates taking awhile to show up on the Linux Mint Update Manager, but they eventually do.  I assume that since Mint is an offshoot of Ubuntu, that’s why you’re saying I should have gotten them.  The 85.0.1 update was a more important update because it dealt with critical security issues.  It still hasn’t shown up.

I’ve received both updates for FF on Win 7 though.

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

I much prefer adding the Mozilla PPA to LM.
          gets updates quicker as well as thunderbird updates via synaptic YMMV

Charlie
            AskWoody Plus

I don’t think I’m quite ready to try that yet.  Isn’t that for testing, etc.?

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

If you refresh the file list, it should find it immediately since it is in the Ubuntu repo (which is the one that Mint uses also for everything except the core Mint files that differ from the Ubuntu underneath). I know you can do that in Synaptic, which is installed by default on Mint, and the updater should have one too (it’s been a long time since I have used the Mint updater).

My Firefox is still on 85.0, since I use the OpenSUSE version, and it has not been updated beyond that yet. I’m actually on a trial run of Vivaldi as a go-to browser at the moment, so Firefox is on the back burner for the moment.

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

An empirical observation:

My Ubuntu 18.04 LTS was just updated to FF 85.0.1 from 85.0. I only check this computer once a week, so the 85.0.1 update came sometime between last Friday and today. Last Friday was the day FF was updated to 85.0 on this computer.

Despite this, nothing later than FF 85.0 has been offered to any of my three Mint 19.2 computers even after a Refresh of the Update Manager.

3 users thanked author for this post.
            Ascaris
            AskWoody MVP

That is odd. I wonder if Mint is doing something with Firefox itself rather than just offering it from the Ubuntu repo (maybe hosting their own Firefox in case Ubuntu decides to make that a Snap package like they did with Chromium?). In cases where there is a difference in what is offered by Ubuntu and Mint, the Mint servers take precedence.

Edit: I just checked, and yes, Mint is hosting Firefox from their own repo now. Why, I do not know for sure, but you have my guess above.

If you want the more up to date version from Ubuntu, start Synaptic, then find Firefox, highlight it, and use “Force version” from the “Package” menu. You will see Firefox 85.0.1 from Ubuntu in there. Select that, then apply.

The updater will probably try to revert the package back to the old one. To stop that, use the same package menu to lock the version once you’ve updated it. Be aware that you will have to manually unlock it when it’s time to update.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Ascaris.
            Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

That is odd. I wonder if Mint is doing something with Firefox itself rather than just offering it from the Ubuntu repo

One of the first things I do with a new distro installation is:
            uninstall the supplied default version of Thunderbird and Firefox
            for ANY debian derived distro.
            Add the Mozilla PPA via terminal
            then I’ll install Firefox/Thunderbird, via synaptic.
            Has worked for me for many years without issue,
            knowing I’ll be up-to-date and more than often,
            quicker than the distro supplied versions.

Ascaris
              AskWoody MVP

I’m not in any hurry to get new versions of Firefox! I’m still on 85.0 here, and that’s fine by me. I’ll get something newer when it comes down the pike.

One of my growing list of criticisms of Mozilla is that they utterly refuse to allow their official build of Firefox to play nice with the KDE Plasma desktop. Every Chromium derivative I have seen runs with KDE perfectly right out of the box with no muss and no fuss, but not Firefox.

In order to get the same level of integration with Firefox, I have to use the OpenSUSE edition, which uses the patch OpenSUSE itself created and maintained to make Firefox work with KDE like Chromium does. They’ve offered this patch to Mozilla, who has refused to accept it or to create their own version (with or without the hacky but effective helper application the OpenSUSE version uses).

Why Mozilla insists on its hostility to KDE, I do not know, but it’s just one of a growing list of outright user hostilities within Firefox that is pushing me away. The KDE one is more than ten years old; they’ve refused to play nice for all of that time. The trend hasn’t reversed since then.

More and more, I get the impression that they really don’t want to be developing Firefox and are trying to destroy it once and for all so that they can go do something else. I don’t know why anyone would do that when they could just quit, but that’s how it seems to me from the outside.

Microfix
                AskWoody MVP

I’m not in any hurry to get new versions of Firefox! I’m still on 85.0 here, and that’s fine by me. I’ll get something newer when it comes down the pike.

Fair point, although using the mozilla PPA over the distro PPA equates to a quicker update delivery service as well as the shared option (either PPA) to accept or hold version via synaptic.
                Considering that the browser is the portal (both ways) to the World Wild Web, Firefox ESR only issues security updates without fluff stuff that’s continually being introduced and fixed for bugs with point releases soon after.
                Win Win situation here with ESR and the Mozilla PPA

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t like having to wait on the Mint update manager, but I don’t want to have to download and reinstall a whole, completely new Firefox program instead of just the update I need.  It’s a lot less work.  FF 85.0.1 still has not shown up yet here even after doing additional Refreshes on Mint’s UM.

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

I don’t like having to wait on the Mint update manager, but I don’t want to have to download and reinstall a whole, completely new Firefox program instead of just the update I need. It’s a lot less work. FF 85.0.1 still has not shown up yet here even after doing additional Refreshes on Mint’s UM.

When Mint updates Firefox, it actually does the same thing — it uninstalls the old version, then installs the new version in its place. If you look at the size of the packages, the Ubuntu 85.0.1 update is about the same size as the 85.0 update. They’re not cumulative.

Forcing the version to the Ubuntu version will do the same thing as allowing the Mint version to install when it finally arrives, and it will take the same amount of time (a few seconds, probably). You won’t have to manually install it.  You just need to tell Synaptic you’d rather use the Ubuntu version rather than the Mint one, and not to try to “update” to the older Mint version again next time.

Bob99
        AskWoody Plus

@Charlie

From what I can see in the release notes for 85.0.1 and 85.0.2, the only Linux-related bug involves using the Firefox flatpak edition of Firefox for Linux. The other bugs are on Windows and Mac systems, and the one critical security bug is only present on Windows systems:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/85.0.1/releasenotes/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/85.0.2/releasenotes/

Clicking the individual bug numbers listed in the advisories will bring up the detailed listing of the bug’s history. In the earliest posts of the history is where you’ll usually find the system configuration of the reporting party which will include the OS environment.

Info on the critical security hole patched in FF 85.0.1 can be found here. Take note of the following from that advisory:

Note: This issue only affected Windows operating systems. Other operating systems are unaffected.

So, from the sounds of things in the release notes, I’d say sit tight for now.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Bob99.
        • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Bob99.
          Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks very much, I was hoping that might be the case.

Ascaris
            AskWoody MVP

That may be why Mint and OpenSUSE have declined thus far to offer 85.0.1 or 85.0.2.

anonymous

? says:

Commit Log for Wed Feb 17 07:22:53 2021
        firefox-esr (78.7.1esr+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 78.8.0esr+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

through synaptic pkg mgr.

no sign of 85.0.2, yet?

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

I still haven’t seen 85.0.1 or 85.0.2 for Mint.

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Firefox 85.0.1 just came in on my Mint Update Manager and I installed it.

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Mozilla Firefox 86.0 and Mozilla Firefox ESR 78.8 on their way soon via update channels..now in the Mozilla FTP:

Mozilla Firefox 86.0

Mozilla Firefox 78.8 ESR

Security Advisories:
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/

86.0 release notes:
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/86.0/releasenotes/

New Feature:
        Multiple Picture-in-picture and total Cookie protection

Improved: Print Functionality and integration with cleaner interface.

Fixes/ bugs addressed
        CVE-2021-23968
        CVE-2021-23969
        CVE-2021-23970
        CVE-2021-23974
        CVE-2021-23971
        CVE-2021-23972
        CVE-2021-23973
        CVE-2021-23975
        CVE-2021-23976
        CVE-2021-23977
        CVE-2021-23978
        CVE-2021-23979

LOW, MODERATE and HIGH catagories

78.8 release notes:
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/78.8.0/releasenotes/

Fixes/ bugs addressed:
        CVE-2021-23968
        CVE-2021-23969
        CVE-2021-23973
        CVE-2021-23978

All in the HIGH catagory

anonymous

? says:

just landed:

Commit Log for Fri Feb 26 17:27:50 2021
        firefox (85.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 86.0+build3-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
        firefox-locale-en (85.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1) to 86.0+build3-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

ClearThunder
        AskWoody Plus

My current version is 85.0.2, but I do see it wants me to update to 86.0

I’ll have to flip a coin.

"Censorship is thought control" ----- Ronald Reagan

Bob99
          AskWoody Plus

Have been on 86 since Wednesday and no issues at all on Win 10 Pro x64 20H2 build 746.

Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

Running Mozilla Firefox ESR, Portable Edition 78.8.0 . No issues.

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

I think I’ll wait another day or three.  I don’t see any real pressing reasons to update immediately.

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
        AskWoody Plus

Running Mozilla Firefox ESR, Portable Edition 78.8.0 . No issues.

TOR 10.0.12 (based on Firefox 78.8.0 ESR) runs fine too.

anonymous

? says:

hi charlie,

there are a few “security fixes,” in the ff86 package:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2021-07/

and the release notes:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/86.0/releasenotes/

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

I have been running FF 86.0 since the day it was released. No issues so far.

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

FF86 has been running on 1 Win 7 Starter x32, 2 Win 7 Pro x64, 2 Win 8.1 Pro x64, 1 Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, 3 Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, and 1 macOS Catalina for at least a couple days. No issues.

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I updated to FF 86 on my Win 7 machine today.  All seems okay.

anonymous

? says:

glad you are keeping updated! you probably know you can easily install firefox esr either as a standalone or in tandem with firefox regular. the main advantage being the tempo of updates isw usuallt lower with the esr version. i have both installed a switch between them according to my mood. this is how i got the esr package and installed it (via terminal.) i also named one default browser and left one blank in edit> prefs to avoid clashing. also imported my prefs.js file.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get install firefox-esr

and another link to ecplain the “State Partitioning,”:

Introducing State Partitioning

bit more scientific than the cookie jar analogy from this next link:

Firefox 86 Introduces Total Cookie Protection

Charlie
            AskWoody Plus

As long as the esr version allows running uBlock Origin I’ll consider it.  I really depend on uBlock O to make things quicker and less full of ads.  Also need to be able to watch Youtube videos.  I definitely don’t need to watch four videos on the screen at one time!

Microfix
              AskWoody MVP

ESR supports UBlock and many other ‘Quality’ extensions (same as the mainstream firefox) With security only patching, ESR requires less frequent updates and has less fluffware in comparison to the mainstream version.
              If you get an update for ESR, it’s for a security reason ONLY.
              Take it and get on with a stressfree browser life.

Geo
        AskWoody Plus

I was missing “print preview” in file.  I had to go in to   about:config,  and set,  tab_mod back to false  to restore it.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Geo.
        ClearThunder
        AskWoody Plus

I updated to 86 and it 86’d my print preview too. 🙁

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Mozilla Firefox 86.0.1 Released today via update channels for Windows.
        Release Note Link:
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/86.0.1/releasenotes/

Fixed an issue on Apple Silicon machines that caused Firefox to be unresponsive after system sleep (bug 1682713)
        Fixed an issue causing windows to gain or lose focus unexpectedly (bug 1694927)
        Fixed truncation of date and time widgets due to incorrect width calculation (bug 1695578)
        Fixed an issue causing unexpected behavior with extensions managing tab groups (bug 1694699)
        Fixed a frequent Linux crash on browser launch (bug 1694670)

Nothing for ESR still on 78.8.0

ClearThunder
        AskWoody Plus

A pretty good-sized update. 6.8MB. Looking at the bug fixes, I don’t recall having any of the issues they mitigated.

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Mozilla Firefox 87.0 and ESR 78.9
        are scheduled to be released on Tuesday 23rd March via update channels for Windows.

Firefox 87.0 release notes:
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/87.0/releasenotes/

Firefox 78.9 ESR release notes:
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/78.9.0/releasenotes/

For those who wish to install (update) via FTP using .msi or .exe:
        FF 87.0: Firefox 87.0
        FF 78.9 ESR: Firefox ESR 78.9.0

UPDATE ** 2021-03-23

FF87.0 Security fixes:
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2021-10/

FF78.9 ESR Security fixes:
        https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2021-11/

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

No issues to report using FF 78.9.0 ESR after various online security and functionality checks.
          Given CVE-2021-23987 the Memory safety bug and CVE-2021-23981: the out-of-bound read, I thought it prudent to install ASAP… YMMV
          Also have been using the HTTP referrer edited in about:config for months now in ESR without any adverse effects.

network.http.sendRefererHeader

set to 0 (default 2)

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Firefox 87 introduces SmartBlock for Private Browsing

..Firefox has included the built-in Content Blocking feature that operates in Private Browsing windows and Strict Tracking Protection Mode…

…In building these extra-strong privacy protections in Private Browsing windows and Strict Mode, we have been confronted with a fundamental problem: introducing a policy that outright blocks trackers on the web inevitably risks blocking components that are essential for some websites to function properly. This can result in images not appearing, features not working, poor performance, or even the entire page not loading at all.

New Feature: SmartBlock

To reduce this breakage, Firefox 87 is now introducing a new privacy feature we are calling SmartBlock. SmartBlock intelligently fixes up web pages that are broken by our tracking protections, without compromising user privacy.

SmartBlock does this by providing local stand-ins for blocked third-party tracking scripts. These stand-in scripts behave just enough like the original ones to make sure that the website works properly. They allow broken sites relying on the original scripts to load with their functionality intact…

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Both Mozilla Firefox 88.0 and Firefox ESR 78.10.0 due to be released shortly thru update channels or if you prefer, can be downloaded via FTP

Firefox 88.0

FF 88.0 Features and Security Fixes

Firefox ESR 78.10

ESR 78.10.0 Security Fixes

more info over on Ghacks from Martin Brinkmann..

ClearThunder
        AskWoody Plus

They haven’t started the pop ups yet, but when I just went to check my FF version, it showed an update to 88.0 was available.  Didn’t download it. I’ll wait a bit. Those with FF set for auto updates might want to let the dust settle first.  Current version should be 87.0

Bob99
        AskWoody Plus

I took the leap and no issues whatsoever with now being on FF 88. They also patched quite a few security holes, as is Mozilla’s custom. Several of the vulnerabilities are rated as “High” with only “Critical” being any higher.

Details on what’s in the latest version of Firefox can be found here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/88.0/releasenotes/

Makes for a good reason to take the plunge, especially given that a major security conference for finding vulnerabilities just concluded. In that conference, several zero day vulnerabilities were found, including some in Chrome and its derivatives.

From Susan’s guidance in today’s newsletter (both the free and paid versions):

Just this week, two Chrome zero days were published online, evidence that my conservative guidance to “wait and see” is not prudent when it comes to browsers. Updates for Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, and other browsers should always be automatic and applied quickly unless community guidance reveals a show-stopping issue.

I added the bolding above in the quote.

For those who run a Mozilla “Suite” (FF and T’Bird), Thunderbird has also been updated today to version 78.10, patching some of the same vulnerabilities that have been patched in FF88.

My setup: FF88, Win10 Pro x64 version 20H2 build 19042.867

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Bob99. Reason: Added quote from Susan about patching browsers quickly
        • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by Paul T.
        anonymous

this was posted yesterday https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/firefox-and-firefox-esr-updates/#post-2358732

[Moderator edit] merged with existing thread

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

I was surprised how soon FF 88 came up in my Linux Mint Update Manager.  I installed it two days ago and all seems well.  I also updated my Win 7 to FF 88 and all seems good there too.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

FF 88 (ESR 78.10) are the last FF versions before the big change for Proton interface design.

You can test portable versions of 89b1 and 90 nightly.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

The people commenting at Ghacks don’t sound happy.  Sounds like the redesign will not be excepted well.  More unnecessary frou frou that will hopefully be able to be disabled.

As I posted, you can test and download portable versions of new builds in order to get your own impressions.
        You can run both your current installed and portable FF versions and the same time and compare.

Charlie
          AskWoody Plus

I suppose we will have to wait until FF 89 comes out and then see how much manure hits the ventilator.

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Firefox ESR has been updated to 78.10.1 to address a security issue with the Maintenance Service which only affects Windows OSes older than Win 10 build 1709.
        More info on CVE-2021-29951
        There is also a fix for Widevine:

Resolved an issue caused by a recent Widevine plugin update which prevented some purchased video content from playing correctly.

from Mozilla

Also available via FTP

Viewing 36 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Firefox and Firefox ESR Updates!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.