News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Firefox – Do I need to make new Rescue Media?

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Firefox – Do I need to make new Rescue Media?

Topic Resolution: Resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsty 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Tex265
      AskWoody Plus

Running Windows 10 v1803 and Firefox 70.

When do I need to make a new Rescue Media USB?

With each Firefox version change?

With each Windows 10 version change (eg: 1803 to 1903 to 1909)?

Firefox says something about a refresh – what is that?  and how do I perform that?  Or should I make a new Rescue Media from the beginning?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Um. I don’t think you should need a dedicated rescue media for Firefox.

The normal Windows one is usually prudent to have, yes, and regular backups… but you could just make regular on-disk copies of the Firefox settings folder and have them included in the backups.

Anything that clobbers those would usually make a mess of the rest of your system too, not just Firefox, and in that case you’d need the Windows rescue media and backups anyway.

Tex265
      AskWoody Plus

Perhaps I’m using the wrong terminology.

I’m asking about the “thing” that you have to create on a USB stick from within Firefox to boot your computer in order to access and install a previously made system backup.

mngerhold
        AskWoody Lounger

I have no idea what the ‘thing’ you refer to is – could you post a screenshot of it running?

PKCano
      Da Boss

Firefox is a browser, a tool for looking at the Internet. It has nothing to do with Rescue Media or backing up your computer. It can be used, however, for downloading programs that are used to backup your computer.
      If you need to back up Firefox, you can simply copy/paste your profile folder to external storage, such as a USB drive.

Some of the programs that are used for backing up your computer that have been mentioned are Macrium Reflect, EaseUS Todo Backup, Aomei Backupper, Acronis True Image. You can use these backup programs to create a disk image of the computer hard drive onto external storage media. In order to restore these backup images, you need bootable Rescue Media (CD, DVD, USB), created by the backup program, from which to boot the computer and access the backup images in order to restore them.

There is another type of Rescue Media (CD, DVD, USB) created by Windows. This boots into WindowsPE or WindowsRE and gives you access to utilities for Repair such as the Command Prompt, Startup Repair, Restore Points, etc.

Now, what are you asking?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tex265
      AskWoody Plus

Cheez what an idiot I am!   Sorry to everyone who took the time to help!

I had just updated my Firefox browser, before I posted my question that should have been regarding Macrium Reflect Free not Firefox!

I’m ending this and re-posting my questions regarding Macrium in the proper place.

Hopefully one of the higher ups here at Woody’s will delete this post – thanks.

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

Firefox says something about a refresh – what is that? and how do I perform that?

If your  Firefox browser isn’t working like you are used to, you can refresh Firefox back to it’s original new “default” state. You will not lose any bookmarks or passwords you have saved. The saved passwords would of course have to have been saved using Firefox’s built in PW manager.

If ONLY Firefox is acting up go here: Reset Firefox. One click does it, no biggie 🙂

PKCano tells you in the above post what to use to backup your OS. (ie:Windows OS)

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kirsty
      Da Boss

The topic ‘Firefox – Do I need to make new Rescue Media?’ is closed to new replies.