• Firefox Ending Support for Wiin 7 in Jan, 2023

Author
    Topic

I’m running Win 7 and Firefox on 2 PCs.  Don’t want a new PC with Win11 (yet).  Is there a way to run FF on Win 7 (safely) after FF support for Win 7 ends?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Firefox has not officially announced any plans to end Firefox support for Windows 7.  You can avoid windows 11 by getting windows 10 (windows 7 keys in most cases can activate windows 10), but again there is no announcement from Firefox.

Chrome is different – it is implied that Chrome support will end January 2023.  https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/chrome-enterprise/extending-chrome-on-windows-7-to-support-enterprise-customers

Especially if you are on an unsupported os, but in all cases, you should have multiple backups of your important personal data.

If you are a high value target, 0patch provides some security patches for windows 7.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Opatch may not be able to code up after January as well.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Just wanted to post the link to the latest 0Patch info from their FAQ: How long do you plan to provide Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Micropatches?

Posted by Mitja Kolesk just recently:

We plan to provide micropatches for end-of-support Windows systems as long as there is sufficient market demand for them. Yes, if this means providing patches for Windows 7 in 2030, we’ll do that.

(We initially committed to one year, then three years, but a constantly growing number of legacy systems with 0patch installed makes it clear that a lot of users and organizations want to keep using systems that work for them instead of spending time and money on upgrading.)

I haven’t asked for any more specific info yet, but it does seem that 0Patch will continue its patching. I’ve used 0Patch since Win 7 went out of support and it has worked well – very fast, behind the scenes and never the drama that MS patches cause.

4 users thanked author for this post.

This subject has already been discussed in this topic:  Is this the end for Windows 7?

We're getting Sticker Shock everywhere now, not just car dealers.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Guess I didn’t state my question clearly. What I’m wondering is “IF” Firefox stops support for Windows 7 in January (as rumored) would there be a way to run FF (safely)
      on Win 7 beyond then?

I never heard about 0patch until yesterday. I’ll have to read up on that. And I’m not sure I understand Susan’s comment.

Sorry, but my years of being a Geek were long ago, so I’m out of touch. But I do appreciate all the helpful replies.

“IF” Firefox stops support for Windows 7 in January (as rumored) would there be a way to run FF (safely) on Win 7 beyond then?

The short answer is no, however, if you cautiously use the computer for only certain sites you know to be trustworthy and be very careful what you click on you might get a few more months out of Firefox.  But I really would suggest that you change to another good browser (if you can).

1 user thanked author for this post.

I’d like to suggest that you read Post #1659318

“Windows Update for Windows 7 after 1-2020”  By Canadian Tech – MVP

Everyone has their own opinions, but I stopped doing the Full, Everything Rolled Up into One Updates, and only did the Security updates until Jan. 2020.  I continued to use my Windows 7 for everyday routine use and surfing the web.  I have not had any problems doing this and am glad for that post by Canadian Tech.

What you decide to do is of course up to you, but I thought you should read this before making any permanent decisions.

Just had a peek at it – Wow!  I’ll study it carefully.  I stopped Windows Update about 5 years ago. and do frequent Macrium Reflect Images, just in case.

Thank you!

What I’m wondering is “IF” Firefox stops support for Windows 7 in January (as rumored) would there be a way to run FF (safely)
      on Win 7 beyond then?

You are worried about the security of FF on an unsupported Windows 7 ?
      You can continue to use FF as long as you wish. Your Windows 7 will be hacked first.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Firefox Ending Support for Wiin 7 in Jan, 2023

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.