News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Firefox–flash player issue–High sierra

Posted on Philomene123 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Firefox–flash player issue–High sierra

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Philomene123
        AskWoody Plus

Hi there! I am using Mac os High sierra, on imac and macbook pro, and I have an issue with Flash player. It seems Mac OS, flash-firefox related, because chrome, opera, brave, safari don’t have any problem.  And no issue on windows devices . Many people helped me to test.  On some sites with flash content, even if the settings are OK, flash autorized, etc.   the display is kind of ultra zoomed. So I can’t do nothing. For exemple, I join 2 screenshots, one is normal,  with chrome, the other one with firefox, latest version.  Flash is updated, latest version, of course.  Issue is there on Mojave as well. And yes, I know safari 14 doesn’t support flash anymore. I have safari 13 on my devices, and flash still works perfectly.

Any idea how I can fix it? I know it’s almost the end of flash. Almost. Still need it until the very end with firefox if possible.  Thanks for your help!

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Philomene123.
        Attachments:
      • #2299188 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Philomene: To figure out if this is related to FireFox, have you tried also with a fork of FireFox, Waterfox, for example? They are both part of the Mozilla project and share add-ons. There is a Mac version that is my default browser (WF “Classical” edition). Unfortunately I do not have a reason to use Flash and I’m no aware of encountering recently something that requires using it, when browsing around. And I am running Mojave…

You do know that Adobe is going to stop supporting Flash come New Year’s eve, right? Sorry can’t be of more help. Good luck with your question.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2299189 Reply
        Philomene123
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks OscarCP. Right after I posted, I got an answer.  It may help someone else:

———

Bug #1667267 and #1666040 have been opened/reported on “Bugzilla”, and linked to Firefox Support. It seems version 81 is only affected. Nightly versions of 82 (beta versions) do not seem affected, at this time, and, so far, only macOS. So, it appears it is Firefox related on Macs. Hopefully, they will be able to fix the issue.

You could uninstall and install a previous version of Firefox, like 80.0.1, or uninstall and install Firefox ESR (Extended Service Release) 78.3.0, until they fix the issue with 81.0. “Downgrading” to 80.0.1 is not generally recommended, because Firefox is usually update to fix security issues. Firefox ESR still gets security updates. Understand these options aren’t convenient, but are something to try, if you still wish to use Firefox.

Waterfox, current version, seems to work perfectly! Cool!  Will try to install my extensions if possible.  Thanks again!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Philomene123.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2299229 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Yeah looks like a bug, and it may not be fixed in Firefox proper. Glad it’s working in Waterfox. I know Flash is on its way out.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2299240 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Do you have to install Flash player on Mac for flash support ?

• #2299394 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

You do in non-Chrome/Chromium browsers.

Nathan Parker

• #2299402 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

I have Adobe Flash Manager installed in the Mac and ShockWave Flash (version 32.0.0.433) is one of Waterfox (Current) plug-ins.  If I remember correctly, I did not install either, so “Manager” must have come with the Mac. No problems that I have noticed that might be related to those two. I am not updating intentionally anything “Flash” and Adobe Flash runs out of support on December 31, anyways. I wonder what I would need to do then about those plug-ins and the Flash application I’ve mention. I much prefer to leave things alone if they keep quiet and don’t do anything bad. I am still running “Mojave.”

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• #2299418 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I wonder what I would need to do then about those plug-ins and the Flash application I’ve mention. I much prefer to leave things alone if they keep quiet and don’t do anything bad. I am still running “Mojave.”

All browsers will disable Flash after Dec. 31 2020.
        You can manually enable Flash on site-by-site basis.

Here is Microsoft’s post

Apple take on Flash EOL

Apple users have been experiencing the web without Flash for some time. iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch never supported Flash. For the Mac, the transition from Flash began in 2010 when Flash was no longer pre-installed. Today, if users install Flash, it remains off by default. Safari requires explicit approval on each website before running the Flash plugin.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Alex5723.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Firefox–flash player issue–High sierra

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.