News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Firefox Interface Performance Tweaks

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Firefox Interface Performance Tweaks

Topic Resolution: Not a Question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Microfix
      Da Boss

For those who wish to eek a little more performance from Mozilla Firefox, below is a list of tested interface tweaks which I currently use on FF v60+ (both Windows AND Linux)
      These tweaks are done within the about:config editor

Interface:
      In the configuration window, right click and choose New -> Integer
      Name it nglayout.initialpaint.delay set the value to 1
      I have tried this at zero which did have issues but since then have had no issues whatsoever when set at 1

Firefox Menu Display:
      In the configuration window, right click and choose New -> Integer
      Name it ui.submenuDelay set to 0
      (speeds up the bookmark display listing)

Disable Unnecessary Animations:
      Type: toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled set value to FALSE
      (stops animations and speeds up rendering )

Disable use of Bookmark Icons:
      Applying these tweaks will no longer display cached website icons in your bookmarks which uses the default firefox icons instead. In doing so, the sqlite size is reduced giving quicker loading.

Prior to doing this, take note of your existing settings if you should wish change back to default. (I’m happy with it and never noted the defaults)

Type: browser.chrome.favicons set to FALSE
      Type: browser.chrome.site_icons set to FALSE
      Type: browser.chrome.errorReporter.sampleRate set to 0
      Type: browser.chrome.image_icons.max_size set to 0
      Type: browser.chrome.errorReporter.submitUrl set to no URL (delete contents within string)
      Type: browser.chrome.toolbar_tips set to TRUE
      Type: browser.chrome.errorReporter.logLevel set to 0.0001

You should notice better responsiveness of the browser once restarted.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1002833 Reply

anonymous

? says:

thank you Microfix! for more FF tips and tweaks. i have stuff scattered all over that i will add to

3000003: Firefox – additional security, telemetry and privacy tweaks

the top 1/6th of my about:config is modified settings, and by the by how do i export the settings so i can apply them when i set up new FF’s

• #1031467 Reply

anonymous

? says:

i guess this is how to locate and save\print the settings in about:config:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2541429/hacking-firefox–the-secrets-of-about-config.html

i have to close ff to work on it…

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1048881 Reply

anonymous

Disable Unnecessary Animations:…

Disabling this in the latest version of Waterfox does also improve its response time.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Firefox Interface Performance Tweaks

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.