News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Firefox is having an add-on 'meltdown'

Posted on Steve S. Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Firefox is having an add-on 'meltdown'

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  woody 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Steve S.
      AskWoody Plus

Over the last several hours, reports are being posted from users worldwide that Firefox has disable all or nearly all of their add-ons. I’ve lost all my add-ons except one. What a mess!

The Firefox team indicates it is apparently due to an expired intermediate cert. They are working on a fix.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548973

Win7 Pro x64 (Group B), Win10 Pro x64 1809, Linux Mint + a cat with 'tortitude'.

6 users thanked author for this post.

anonymous

Quite the mess!  Guessing we will have to reinstall the add-ons after the certificate is fixed.

Kirsty
      Da Boss

From @martinbrinkmann on ghacks.net:

Your Firefox extensions are all disabled? That’s a bug!
      by Martin Brinkmann | May 04, 2019

Solution
      Nightly, Dev and Android users may be able to disable signing of extensions; some users reported that this resolved the issue temporarily on their end. You need to set the preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false on about:config to disable signing. You could change the system date to the previous day to resolve it temporarily as well, but that can lead to other issues.

The issue can only be resolved on Mozilla’s end. The organization needs to renew the certificate or create a new one to resolve the issue. I’d expect Mozilla to do that soon as the issue is widespread and affecting lots of Firefox users.

Users should not remove affected extensions from their installations; the issue will resolve itself once Mozilla fixes it.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Microfix
      Da Boss

not having any issues with FF extensions or the cert.
      May the 4th be with you!

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

1 user thanked author for this post.
      b

Kirsty
        Da Boss

When you posted this, I wasn’t seeing any problems either. But now… I’ve got a “some extensions could not be verified” warning 🙂

woody
      Da Boss

I’m having the same problem.

I’ve shut down this thread, in favor of Susan’s blog post here.

2 users thanked author for this post.

The topic ‘Firefox is having an add-on 'meltdown'’ is closed to new replies.