News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Firefox opening tabs spontaneously

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Firefox opening tabs spontaneously

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
        WSjsachs177
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m not sure whether this question is about Firefox itself, about malware, or about web sites. Whatever, it’s a major nuisance.

A few weeks ago my work computer’s browser (Windows 10, Firefox v85) started opening tabs spontaneously, apparently from links on the active page. This happens only on two web sites: Washington Post and Amazon.

The fact that it’s happening on two different web sites seems to point at the browser or malware. The fact that it’s not happening on any others seems to point at the web sites.

Security is managed by my employer (I have no say in it), and in my experience it’s extremely effective; apart from this puzzling problem, I’ve never had a malware problem that I’m aware of.

The pages that Firefox opens aren’t dangerous or embarrassing, but they’re totally unwanted, and sometimes they’re so numerous that just closing them is a burden. What could be happening, and how can I stop it?

Viewing 0 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Firefox opening tabs spontaneously

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.