News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Firefox SSD capacity usage ?

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Firefox SSD capacity usage ?

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        BrerBear
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m about to install Firefox on a new SSD. However I’ve seen some articles & comments on the Internet that Firefox does a lot of writing to the drive it’s on, and this usage impacts the life of an SSD. Some articles say to move the cache or profiles to another drive.

Is this a real concern or just a few people that are having problems?

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t think you have to worry much.

If you write 4GB per day your SSD will last ~343 years (depending on the type – MLC and size).

Let’s take the Samsung 850 PRO as an example. The 850 PRO is an MLC SSD with 3,000 write cycles. The capacity of the drive differs depending on the model, ranging from 512GB to 2TB. The SSD factor specifies the rate of the real amount of data to the actual data written. For the calculation, one chooses a high value of 5. In addition, the amount of data that is written on the drive per year is estimated. If an estimation is difficult, then we recommend to choose a value between 1,500 and 2,000GB.

The life span of a Samsung 850 PRO with 1TB then results in: ~343 years.

This SSD will probably last incredible 343 years. This isn’t a guarantee, but a good forecast. The warranty for the named SSD is ten years. Also, TLC drives don’t have to hide. The 1TB model of the Samsung 850 EVO series, which is equipped with the low-priced TLC storage type, can expect a life span of 114 years…

The life span of an SSD

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

within Firefox about:config you could check the following are set to the values:
        Type: browser.cache.disk.enable set it FALSE
        Type: browser.cache.memory.enable set to TRUE
        although current FF versions are already set at these values IIRC
        Don’t worry about SSD writes, just use it, their lifetime will surpass spinners.

W10, the itch you simply cannot scratch!
        Sky
        AskWoody Plus

Honestly, as Alex says, you have nothing to worry about. I’ve run Firefox on a SSD for years and it’s barely through any write cycles. If you’re still worried, you could type about:config in the address bar and set browser.cache.disk.enable to false. This will prevent Firefox from writing to the drive. It will cause it to take up more RAM, however, so if you run a lot of tabs at once then make sure you have enough first. I used to use this preference on a computer with only 4GB of RAM and it was fine, though.

EDIT: Microfix beat me to it while I was typing! Hopefully the further info helps anyway.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Sky.
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

@Sky in about:config type: browser.tabs.remote.autostart set to FALSE (this reduces memory consumption too)

W10, the itch you simply cannot scratch!
        GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Setting browser.<wbr />sessionstore.<wbr />resume_from_crash to false will further reduce disk writes. This also eliminated image tearing when I watch videos in FF and also seems to have prevented FF memory consumption from steadily growing over time when watching videos.

BrerBear
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I would think installing Firefox would be a no-brainer. Then I saw a comment where IIRC the person said FF used 60GB in 4 days, and another person used 40GB in 1 day. Granted they may have other problems, but it caught my attention so I figured better ask.

I’ll install FF at default settings for now but will check out settings in about:config.

Thanks again.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

SSDs do not have short life spans. They are fast and reliable and you should use them for all your data unless space is an issue.

Topic: SSD life

cheers, Paul

anonymous

A 99% FF user …. Something’s not right ….CrystalDiskInfo64 says since Feb 2019 I’ve had Total Host Writes of 1357037166 GB, OR — 1,325,078 TB — over 770 hours = 1721 TB / Hour

Computer is asleep 18-20 hours/ day as I surf forums, etc., and do a little Word/XLSX. Can this data be correct?

View post on imgur.com

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Firefox SSD capacity usage ?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.