News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Firefox turned into ad company

Author
    Topic

Data and Firefox Suggest

Introduction

Firefox Suggest is a new feature that displays direct links to content on the web based on what users type into the Firefox address bar. Some of the content that appears in these suggestions is provided by partners, and some of the content is sponsored...

Data Collected by Mozilla

Mozilla collects the following information to power Firefox Suggest when users have opted in to contextual suggestions.

Search queries and suggest impressions: Firefox Suggest sends Mozilla search terms and information about engagement with Firefox Suggest, some of which may be shared with partners to provide and improve the suggested content.
    Clicks on suggestions: When a user clicks on a suggestion, Mozilla receives notice that suggested links were clicked.
    Location: Mozilla collects city-level location data along with searches, in order to properly serve location-sensitive queries….

Viewing 6 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Is the important sentence:

Mozilla collects the following information to power Firefox Suggest when users have opted in to contextual suggestions.

?

BATcher

Plethora means a lot to me.

3 users thanked author for this post.

users have opted in to contextual suggestions.

It doesn’t seem so in Firefox 93 where you have to opt-out

Privacy & Security – address Bar – Firefox Suggest – uncheck all of the boxes or
      uncheck Contextual search and Include occasional sponsored suggestions

3 users thanked author for this post.

It’s a non-starter if one has never developed the proclivity of typing in the address bar.

In my case, I either already know where I want to go (bookmarks) or I’m typing into the search box of DuckDuckGo, my Firefox homepage.  I have neither need nor desire to type directly into the address bar.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

In FF 93 you can opt out by unchecking the boxes under Address Bar – Firefox Suggest in the Privacy & Security section of Settings.  My 93 came with 3 boxes checked; I unchecked them.

I have been using Firefox ESR for a very long time. I can’t when any of the boxes that allowed suggestions for searches were authorized, by default.

Peace, CAS

Ditto @CAS, got it all unticked on FF ESR 78.15 since the start of the 78.xx ESR series.

| Quality over Quantity |

I have been using Firefox ESR for a very long time. I can’t when any of the boxes that allowed suggestions for searches were authorized, by default.

Peace, CAS

Latest Firefox 91.2.0esr doesn’t have “Contextual search and Include occasional sponsored suggestions” so no ads.

Sergui Gatlan’s 07-Oct-2021 BleepingComputer article Firefox Now Shows Ads as Sponsored Address Bar Suggestions notes that this new “Firefox Suggest” feature is only being tested for users located in the U.S. for now. I live in Canada so this option hasn’t appeared in my Firefox 93 settings yet.

The Mozilla support article Navigate the Web Faster with Firefox Suggest also explains how users can opt out of this feature at Settings | Privacy & Security | Address Bar – Firefox Suggest | Contextual Suggestions. I often search from my Firefox address bar and as Alex5723 noted in post # 2395359, there’s no need to uncheck other “traditional” options in that section (e.g., Browsing History, Bookmarks, etc.) if you like including these types of suggestions in your address bar searches.
      ———–
      Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H1 build 19043.1237 * Firefox v93.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2109.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.4.8.137-1.0.1474

Viewing 6 reply threads
    Reply To: Firefox turned into ad company

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.