News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Fix Windows 10 can't be restored Stop error (0xc000021a)

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Fix Windows 10 can't be restored Stop error (0xc000021a)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cmptrgy 5 months ago.

• Author

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Microsoft notes that it may happen that Windows 10 cannot be restored to an earlier version and that users receive the Stop error (0xc000021a) instead.

Consider the following scenario:

You install Windows 10 on a clean computer.
      You turn on system protection, and then create a system restore point that is named “R1.”
      You install one or more Windows 10 updates.
      After the updates have finished installing, you restore the system to the “R1” restore point.
      In this scenario, the system is not restored to the “R1” restore point. Instead, the computer experiences a Stop error (0xc000021a). You restart the computer, but the system cannot return to the Windows desktop…

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/19/fix-windows-10-cant-be-restored-after-you-install-an-update/

• #1692686 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

I found “Fix Windows 10 can’t be restored after you install an update” very interesting.
      https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/19/fix-windows-10-cant-be-restored-after-you-install-an-update/
      The opening statement is well written.
      The cause hits home on what’s at play.
      The fix proposes 2 fixes
      1. If Windows 10 fails to start during recovery & 2. To avoid the issue altogether

Since I create a system image backup before Update Tuesday each month, could that also be a solution if “Windows 10 can’t be restored after you install an update” issue occurs?

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

• #1694654 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Since I create a system image backup before Update Tuesday each month, could that also be a solution if “Windows 10 can’t be restored after you install an update” issue occurs?

Depends on the app used to create your backup image.
      If its Microsoft’s image creation tool ‘Backup and Restore (Windows 7)’ than I wouldn’t bet on it to restore properly.
      If its 3rd party app like Acronis, Macrium.. that you got a solid backup to restore from.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1695472 Reply

cmptrgy
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you Alex5723. I use Macrium and have been for quite a few years.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Fix Windows 10 can't be restored Stop error (0xc000021a)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.