News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Flash Drive Can’t Open Documents!!!

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows Vista, XP and earlier Questions: Vista, XP back to 3.1 Flash Drive Can’t Open Documents!!!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Paul T 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

JJoe
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi All,

Using windows xp, opened flash drive I in word, and tried to open an document. The following popups appears below. Have tired several times with no luck. These documents contain my Dad current medical, financial, legal records that can’t be replaced, as most of these paper records were trashed.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, feedback, comments, at this time I am open to any assistance, that is very much greatly appreciated!!!

An graceful THANK YOU is given.

JJoe

MY FILES ON FLASH DRIVE READS AS FOLLOW:

Click On File

METLIfO2

Pop Up Reads As Follows; Words can’t open the file you have selected. The file may be deleted or move. To remove this file from the list, find the file name in the Works Task Launcher. Click on file name with The right mouse button, and then click delete.

Click On Folder

I:/Family/eDOAS-5.sP is not accessible.

Pop Up Reads As Follows: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

• #1857550 Reply

anonymous

I:/Family/eDOAS-5.sP is not accessible.

I see 2 things that may be issues, one is the Path to the file is shown as incorrect, should be I:\Family\eDOAS-5.sP is not accessible as the forward slash is used in Internet addresses and the .sP doesn’t seem to be a Microsoft Word file format.  Might try copying the file to a different Folder then change the extension, the .xxx part, to .doc or .docx or maybe .txt and try.

• #1858094 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Though the forward slash is used as the directory separator in “web format” paths…

You wouldn’t happen to be accessing the drive through a “front page” or “index page” some such? Those used to be common, and sometimes did all kinds of silly things that are now considered insecure and may be disabled. So if that’s the case, see if you can bypass the thing and access the drive directly?

That said, flash drives can and do go bad occasionally. Some models do so more quickly if left unpowered. If the data is really important, I’d suggest taking the drive to a professional… or if you can’t find one locally, an advanced hobbyist. (Linux usually copes better with read errors than Windows, and that’s not going into actual data recovery tools…)

• #1857630 Reply

anonymous

Works Task Launcher. Maybe word can’t open a works file.

https://filext.com/file-extension/SP

• #1857865 Reply

anonymous

If sure the document was created in Microsoft Works (discontinued several years ago) I get the free LibreOffice installed, can open Works formats.

• #1858159 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Before doing anything else, copy the entire flash drive to a new directory on your hard drive.
      Remove the USB and store it safely.

Work from the files on your hard disk and it doesn’t matter if you make a mistake.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Flash Drive Can’t Open Documents!!!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.