• Flash drives repeatedly corrupted after use in car

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Flash drives repeatedly corrupted after use in car

Author
    Topic

My brother in law has music on a flash drive that he plays in his Honda. Every month or so he gets an error and the songs won’t play, and Windows then tells him the drive is corrupted and needs re format. Then it works again for a while.

It’s happened with a few different drives, all name brand. They are Fat32 format. Any ideas?

Thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Toyota? BMW?
      Just to be clear is he actually reformatting?
      If it just conks out try cleaning the contacts, cars are dirty people,pepesi, pepperoni pizza, po… stuff being smaoked.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Possible interference from a failing capacitor in the car’s charging circuitry or electrical noise from the alternator when it first starts spinning.

Suggest to your brother-in-law that he disconnects the flash drive until after the vehicle’s engine has started then re-connects the flash drive after it’s started.

If this stops the regular filesystem corruption then he needs to take his vehicle to an auto-electricians for an oscilloscope test on the charging circuit. It should pinpoint ‘dirty’ (i.e. unsmoothed) electrics caused by, for example, very worn alternator brushes.

Hope this helps…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Check out the posted Link in this thread from last year.
      If that don’t work, read thru that thread.

Toyota? BMW?
      Just to be clear is he actually reformatting?
      If it just conks out try cleaning the contacts, cars are dirty people,pepesi, pepperoni pizza, po… stuff being smaoked.

It is a Honda Insight. Only a few months old, and he keeps it very clean. Never eats in it.

So it doesn’t look as bad as my Accord 😁
        BTW you never said if he is actually reformatting. I get a message on my Quicken backup flash drive nearly every time and just ignore it.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

So it doesn’t look as bad as my Accord 😁
          BTW you never said if he is actually reformatting. I get a message on my Quicken backup flash drive nearly every time and just ignore it.

The car will no longer play it, so ignore is not an option.
          He reformatted once, then bought a bunch of new drives. Still has the bad ones. I am going to look at the file formats and structures when I log in with him next time.

Maybe time to have a talk with the dealership if it is new. But checking the file types as was suggested is worth a try.

🍻

Possible interference from a failing capacitor in the car’s charging circuitry or electrical noise from the alternator when it first starts spinning.

Suggest to your brother-in-law that he disconnects the flash drive until after the vehicle’s engine has started then re-connects the flash drive after it’s started.

If this stops the regular filesystem corruption then he needs to take his vehicle to an auto-electricians for an oscilloscope test on the charging circuit. It should pinpoint ‘dirty’ (i.e. unsmoothed) electrics caused by, for example, very worn alternator brushes.

Hope this helps…

Good idea.
      It is a hybrid, so spikes could be possible.

Thanks

Check out the posted Link in this thread from last year.
      If that don’t work, read thru that thread.

That is interesting. Will look into that.

Thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: Flash drives repeatedly corrupted after use in car

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: