News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Flash snuffed out

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Flash snuffed out

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

I have been out of touch with the world for the last month or so. Fortunately the world seems to have continued without any input from me. However, this morning I got a warning from Adobe saying that Flash was about to be euthanized. I have no strong feelings about Flash, but presumably something is needed to play the video clips on-line. What do I need, what is the work-around?

Rhino

• #2305298 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

HTML 5. All of the current browsers have the ability to play videos without any plugin, as the HTML 5 capabilities are part of the browser itself. You’ve probably been using it and not realized it… lots of sites, like Youtube, discontinued the Flash format a long time ago. I haven’t had Flash installed for years, and the only site that has tried to use it recently was the US National Weather Service.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.20.3 User Edition)

• #2305309 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Ascaris: “I haven’t had Flash installed for years, and the only site that has tried to use it recently was the US National Weather Service.

That is quite correct and is not only Flash the one and only problematic software still, or until very recently, used by some US government agencies in their public Web sites for providing information to users. For example NOAA (and probably other government agencies) has required having Java installed and enabled in order to be able to access their atmospheric models in the form of area maps of different meteorological quantities, such as total precipitable water vapor across the USA, for example, of skew-T pots of tropospheric temperature, etc., both of which I have used to develop refraction correction techniques and software for use with GPS data.

It seems the government, in the USA, at least, tends to lag behind the times when it comes to replacing problematic applications in the Web site interfaces of their services.

As to the HTML5 players, they have become the practically universal kind of software for receiving and processing streaming video, replacing Flash, Silverlight, etc.

Googling “html5 player” one gets lots of hits with links to places that explain, sell, etc. HTML5 players, assuming one does not have one already installed as a browser addon or, perhaps, as a native feature of the OS, and has not noticed this yet.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• #2305317 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

explain, sell, etc. HTML5 players, assuming one does not have one already installed as a browser addon

HTML is not a browser add-on, it’s the latest version of the web language that is used by all websites. Do not pay money for or install anything that claims to add HTML5 to your browser.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2305329 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

PauI_T: I was referring to the HTML5 player, not to the HTML5 Hypertext Markup Language. Two different things altogether.

• #2305402 Reply
            access-mdb
            AskWoody MVP

Oscar, are you referring to the HTML video player, which is part of HTML 5?

• #2305547 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

access-mdb: Yes, by ‘player’ I meant an HTML5 ‘video player’ (which is more specific to this discussion, thanks), something that is not a part of HTLM5, but a piece of software for converting HTML5 messages into something that can be watched with a browser so equipped either with a corresponding addon, or else natively (the browser comes with it already), while HTML5 is a language (and a relatively new standard) used now days in the conveying of information on the Web, over the Internet.

• #2305617 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

I was referring to the HTML5 player

There is no such thing.
            There may be player apps for your browser, but that has nothing to do with the video capabilities of HTML5.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Flash snuffed out

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.