News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Flickr

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Years ago when I had a Yahoo account, I used Flickr to share high-res photos I took with my family and friends.

I haven’t used Flickr in years, but I’m looking more at getting back to enjoying taking photographs and sharing some of my existing photographs again for a relaxing hobby.

Would Flickr be the best outlet to share them to if I want to share them on a more photo-centric site versus traditional social media, or are there other sites that are better than Flickr for sharing photos? My photos are currently stored in iCloud Photos for Mac and iOS, plus I’ll be signing up with Amazon Prime coming up, so I’ll have access to Prime Photos as well.

Nathan Parker

• #1883737 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

That might depend on whether you are after a paid or free service?

Flickr will end 1TB of free storage and limit free users to 1,000 photos

But it’s offering big improvements to the paid Flickr Pro service

By Chaim Gartenberg | Nov 1, 2018

Flickr was purchased in April by professional photo hosting service SmugMug, and today, the first major changes under the new ownership have been announced. There’s a serious downgrade for free users, who are now limited to 1,000 pictures on the photo sharing site, instead of the free 1TB of storage that was previously offered.

Read the full article here

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1883806 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I haven’t used Flickr in years, but I’m looking more at getting back to enjoying taking photographs and sharing some of my existing photographs again for a relaxing hobby.

If you don’t upload big 4k/HDR photos I would recommend Google’s unlimited Google Photos. Max size for photo is 16MP, for video 1080p.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1886035 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Thanks for the info. When I last had Flickr, I had Flickr Pro. I originally got it free when I had AT&T DSL, but I had to pay up for Pro when I moved to an area with a different ISP.

If I went for it, I’d likely go Pro again.

In terms of Google Photos, it’s more along the lines with what I’m doing with iCloud Photos now, so it would duplicate what I’m doing with iCloud Photos (plus I’m not a huge fan of Google’s services in general. I only use what I have to of Google’s).

In terms of photo backup, my photos are stored in iCloud Photos, plus I’ll be signing up for Amazon Prime coming up, so I’ll also have the ability to have unlimited photo backup with Prime. My macOS Photos library is also backed up using Time Machine, and I think it’s also backed up to my cloud backup service, so I do have a solid set of photo backup options in place.

My goal here would be more to share photos with family and friends, plus interaction with other photographers to chat about getting the most out of my DSLR, etc., would be fun.

Nathan Parker

• #1895616 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I signed up for a free Flickr account this past week, and I’ll upgrade to Pro on August 1. So far I’m enjoying it again (even though I don’t have many photos up yet). The enjoyment I felt on sharing photos with some social networking features without going overboard on social media such as Facebook and Twitter is pleasant.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Flickr

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.