News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Folder protection problem (and more)

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Folder protection problem (and more)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lugh 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

A family member’s W10 computer is acting up, and I need help understanding the issue to fix it. From what I can see, MS has recently enabled Folder Protection by default, which includes downloading applications. This protection was designed to block ransomware. Disabling is recommended by some. However, I want to keep the security settings strong and don’t want to do something I shouldn’t, so I am leery of going into a system folder someone happens to recommend without knowing what I am doing.

PROBLEMS: At present, it seems no file can be saved-as. For example, “Word cannot save or create this file. Make sure the disc…is not damaged, full, or write-protected,” or something like that.

The computer is also sending frequent virus and threat messages, such as “Controlled folder access blocked. C:\\Windows…\\WmiPrvSE.exe”. One said access to protected memory had been blocked.

I’m guessing this is all part of one package of issues with essentially a single source. This computer is owned by someone using MS Office, some music application(s), conducting normal web searches, etc. — no gaming, nothing fancy.

I’ll be grateful for guidance to return operations to normal. Thanks!

(Scans with MSE and Malwarebytes (subscription) are clean.)

• #1894985 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

What version of Win10 is involved?
      Is the inability to save only with Office applications, or with all applications?
      Is the save to a local drive or do they use OneDrive?

• #1895394 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss
    • #1897486 Reply

Cthru
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for replying. The version is 10.0.18362, build is same as last 5 numbers.

I went to try to clean out the Outlook inbox just now. On opening, a virus-threat protection pop up appeared saying unauthorized changes to Outlook.exe had been blocked. I was then able to start deleting emails, but after about 20 seconds, they started being repopulated, and a purple box appeared saying, “There is a problem writing to your Outlook data file…,” with the business about the disc being full or the computer unavailable. I tried this whole routine several times and the purple message at one point said something about a configuration problem with Outlook, but I couldn’t reproduce that one.

Regarding OneDrive, I suspected that before my initial post, because at first Word was defaulting to OneDrive for saves, which I hadn’t even notice at first — but of course it wouldn’t save anyway. When I did notice it, I checked Word (part of Office 365, but on the desktop, not OneDrive) options for saving, and it indicated the standard Documents folder on C as the default location. The owner has never set up anything on OneDrive, at least not knowingly. It’s possible an inadvertent mistake was made.

If OneDrive is the culprit here, so to speak, how do I extricate from it? If not, have I provided enough info for you to tell what’s going on?

By the way, I checked the box for email notifications, but did not receive any. I checked back, wondering why.

Thanks again!

• #1900040 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

How much free space is available on the drive(s)?

Is there a network involved, or is all saving to local?

Can a non-Office app save a file, eg Notepad?

Does Outlook use POP or IMAP?

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Folder protection problem (and more)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.