News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Folders locked

Posted on access-mdb Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Folders locked

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  access-mdb 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

Because of a scripting error I managed to delete all my folders. Fortunately, they were in OneDrive and it warned me that I had deleted a lot of files and did I want to restore them. Yes I said. And it seemed to do so. Unfortunately, I have three folders which no longer let me view the content – “you don’t have permission to view or edit these files”. This happens when I try to change ownership. It says it’s unable to display current owner. I’ve Googled and tried a few of the more simple things suggested with no luck and I’ve reactivated the hidden administrator account, but with no luck that way. How do I get into those three folders.

Win 10 1903, fully patched (yeah, I’m cannon fodder), but that’s not the cause. I see that in file explorer they have a cloud symbol showing they’re online and I can see the contents there.

Any ideas?

p.s. note to self, hide the administrator account, carefully check scripts before running them.

• #1958051 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Data or System folders?

Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1958060 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

There’s a range of suggestions to solve “unable to display current owner” here:

Fix: Unable to display current owner

Perhaps Method 2, Allowing full access to authenticated users?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1958198 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

Thanks b, method 2 I had already tried without success. But method 3 did, running chkdsk. It just deleted the errant folders so I was able to restore from OneDrive (from the recycle bin). I had two other sources I could have restored from as well – well backed up.

I will not do this again!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      b

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Folders locked

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.