News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Folders on desktop won’t open. File explorer won’t open

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Folders on desktop won’t open. File explorer won’t open

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        valleygreen22
        AskWoody Lounger

I have folders on the desktop that won’t open. I double click and it appears it goes to the taskbar but won’t open. Also trying to get file explorer to open has the same result. It seems to be on the taskbar but cannot maxamize for use. If I change the size of text, apps and other items from 100% to 125% the folders open like normal and file explorer functions like normal. But since everything is so large I lose a lot of data as it’s outside of the viewing area. What can the connection from apps and file explorer working or not working with the display size? Any thoughts on how to correct this. I ran indexing twice without success.

SallyBrown
        AskWoody Plus

Not clear whether this continues after a reboot but try that first. Shutdown, then Start. Don’t just Restart.

Explorer can get stuck, you can try ending the task and process in Task Manager. Rather than list instructions, follow this link, it’s a bit old but the same as now:
        https://www.windowscentral.com/how-restart-explorerexe-fix-common-ui-problems-windows-10

A few months back after a version upgrade, installing the Nvidia driver gave me a desktop with window frames, no content and no buttons. Couldn’t do anything with that. Rebooting with ctrl-alt-del fixed the issue.

If you have a restore point, use one from before the problem started. Settings>System>About>Advanced System Settings>System Protection(Tab)>System Restore

Otherwise a System Reset, keeping all your files and folders, may be the only option.
        Settings>Update and Security>Recovery>Reset this PC.

b
          AskWoody MVP

Not clear whether this continues after a reboot but try that first. Shutdown, then Start. Don’t just Restart.

Restart is better than Shutdown/Start for fixing problems:

Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does)

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1263 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

SallyBrown
            AskWoody Plus

That’s about what happens with fast startup on, which I disabled since a 5 sec boot is fast enough and it can be problematic over time.  So, for me, if something is repeatedly misbehaving, a shutdown often fixes things better than a restart.  Windows Updates that restart forever and go nowhere, for example.

Default for fast startup is on.  In that case restart should be better unless Windows decides to “fix” itself. Whatever works.

Not disputing the link, thanks, but I also have never seen a good explanation of  what is saved with fast startup on vs. off or if shutdown is the same as restart with it off.  Lots of forum posts but nothing definitive.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

This seems to be a duplicate of your post from the 23rd. Please try to stick to one thread.
        Topic: can’t open folders on desktop @ AskWoody

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Folders on desktop won’t open. File explorer won’t open

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.