News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • forcing email image to full size

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 forcing email image to full size

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

Vincenzo 1 month ago.

• Author

Vincenzo

A friend is asking me how to insert a picture IN THE BODY of an email, and then when the recipient opens the email, have the picture display full screen, regardless of the size of the screen. NOrmally in webdesign I can do this by setting the size to 100% when I insert the pic.
      but that’s not available with her email. (she is using gmail).

I’ve tried opening the photo in photoshop and setting it’s size to 100% before inserting it, but that did not help.

Any ideas?

• #1531146 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

The email program will determine how your picture is presented and there isn’t much you can do about it.

BTW, I’d be really annoyed if someone sent me an email attachment that immediately filled my screen. This is malware behaviour IMO.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1541416 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

I can’t speak for gmail, but Yahoo web mail only allows attachments in it’s free email. The attachments are, as Paul indicated earlier, handled by the email program receiving. I can email to a web based Outlook ebox from my ISP email, that will include inline images. The size of the image is limited to my email program parameters and to the Outlook ebox settings.

What you are suggesting is just one reason I have all images blocked in my email, I have to click if I want see them. This includes embedded images. From my ISP to Yahoo ebox: This image is not a full screen image, but it could easily be one.

imagefullscreen

If the person receiving wants it full screen, all they have to do is right click on the attachment and select a program to open it.

I’m with Paul on this, sending a full screen on opening email image isn’t cool in any e-world.

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

Attachments:
    • #1579128 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

“I’d be really annoyed if someone sent me an email attachment that immediately filled my screen. This is malware behaviour”

She was asking about an image in the body of the email, not an attachment. Also I mis-spoke when I said she wanted it to be fullscreen, what she wanted is for it to be the full size of the viewer’s existing browser window width.

It is a flyer that she sends out to the members and parents of a volleyball team that shows the date and times of the practices. Gmail takes the flyer and reduces the size of it, and the parents are unable to read the text.

I have images blocked in my email too, but when she sent me a sample email and I clicked to allow images, the flyer was in fact too small to read. When I downloaded the image and opened in an image application it was readable, but she has told me in the past the parents are not very computer savvy.

Anyway I did find a fix for her. there is an option that Gmail offers (that is not obvious) that allows you to choose the size of the image when you insert it in the email. It has “Small” or “Original Size” if I remember correctly. By choosing the latter it gives the result she wants.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1594969 Reply

Lugh
        AskWoody_MVP

It is a flyer that she sends out

She should consider making a PDF out of it, and attaching that to her email. PDF will generally hold the original sizing—depending on the receiver’s screen config, of course.

Lugh.
        ~
        Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
        i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1600000 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks. That seemed like a good idea, but when I tried it, Gmail informed me that only photo file formats are allowed to be inserted in the body of an email.

• #1625759 Reply

Lugh
        AskWoody_MVP

That seemed like a good idea

Were you replying to my PDF suggestion, or someone else’s?

As I said, the PDF would be an attachment, not in the email body.

Lugh.
        ~
        Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
        i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1626601 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks. That seemed like a good idea, but when I tried it, Gmail informed me that only photo file formats are allowed to be inserted in the body of an email.

Well… you might be able to force it by crafting a suitable mail locally in a plaintext file with a base64-encoded PDF embedded and then sending that via SMTP. But that’s rather more technical than most people are comfortable with, and then you’d still have the problem that the receiving end won’t handle it the way you’d like, anyway…

I mean, you can tell an email message to do all kinds of things, it’s just that in this era a sane email client won’t allow a lot of those.

Anyway, nothing keeping you from trying anyway with headers:

Content-Type: application/pdf 
        Content-Disposition: inline

(Where you’d put those and if you’re doing multipart or single-part… well I said it’s rather more technical…)

• #1628580 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the thoughts, but that’s way more involved than she would even feel like reading, forget about actually doing it 🙂
      Anyway she is happy with the way the fix I came up with last time.

Thanks

• #1628659 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

That seemed like a good idea

Were you replying to my PDF suggestion, or someone else’s?

As I said, the PDF would be an attachment, not in the email body.

Oh ok, I guess we were mis-communicating. I was only looking for solutions that had the image in the body of the email. So I guess my mind took your word “attach” and read it as “insert”

Thanks

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: forcing email image to full size

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.