News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Forgot Yahoo password

Posted on WSExiledMainer Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

mn– 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

WSExiledMainer
      AskWoody Plus

I don’t know if this is the proper forum for this post but it looked like it might work.

My  poor elderly (86 year old) non-tech savvy brother cannot get into his Yahoo email account.  I have verified that the account with his username exists but when I use what he believes to be his password, it fails.  When I go to the “Forgot Password” routine, it asks for a telephone number and/or email address for verification, both of which no longer exist.  I spent over an hour in a Yahoo chat session with an obviously non-English speaking tech who could not verify ownership of the account with any info I could supply.  It seems like there should be some sort of workaround if the telephone number and email used for verification do not exist but I surely cannot find it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• #1634721 Reply

RockE
      AskWoody Plus

I have a client who decided to trade in his cellphone and get a new phone number. He was also sadly surprised when he forgot his password at Yahoo like your brother. He was unable to discover a solution to the problem. I, like you, would be glad to know just what solution may exist. My client insists that he’s tried every Yahoo option online.

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
      - - - - -
      Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #1635406 Reply

mn–
      Subscriber

This does seem to be a very common problem, not specific to any one service provider… and online identity re-verification later for old accounts even more so, because you’ll have to rely on what was known already.

As in, doesn’t help much if you can prove that you are a “John Smith”, if you’re unable to prove you’re the same “John Smith” who got an account 10 years ago and didn’t provide any still-verifiable identification at that time…

Some places have effectively made banks into also identity brokers. Banks and financial institutions have had strong identification requirements for a while, after all, and also logging/tracking requirements. They might in some cases have proof that a specific person was using a specific email address at some specific time in the past, even.
      Of course they don’t do things for free, much…

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Forgot Yahoo password

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.