News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Formatting W7 PC

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Formatting W7 PC

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

anonymous

Hiya, the last time I firmatted was 2017 so I felt like I should freshen up my PC and format.

My usual routine was- Boot to Win7 CD, wipe C Drive, install 7 on it, set boot to C drive, then install drivers from an external drive for my GPU and motherboard CD. Then work on Windows updates!

I’m a group A updater, but since last year was a mess of patches I forgot to write down what to avoid, what fixes certain things and what you should install before others. I only knew at the time but I should really have taken notes..

Does any of that matter now if say, you just go right to installing Jan 2019 Rollup? Or should I just go for every update as you normally would? Aside from the nagging W10 stuff

I normally used to reinstall them in chunks but yeah now it feels a little more difficult in what you have to look out for. I’m in no rush to format either so I want to make sure I do this carefully

• #321458 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

You might get some direction here. KB3177467 has two versions – you need the one dated Oct 2018.

• #321463 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

From my notes the patches you probably wish to avoid/hide are:
      KB971033 – checks whether Microsoft wants to deactivate your system
      KB2952664 – diagnostics for Win 10 compatibility
      KB3021917 – diagnostics for Win 10 performance compatibility
      KB3022345 – (this patch has been superseded by KB3068708)
      KB3068708 – adds capabilities to easily upgrade to Win 10
      KB3080149 – Adds telemetry to (UAC) to collect info on elevations from low-level requests.
      KB3150513 – Appraiser.sdb and Appraiser_telemetryrunlist.xml

Somewhere along the proceedings you will need the servicing stack update KB3177467 v2 (issued 10/09/2018)

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x86 | XP Pro O/L
    • #321471 Reply

anonymous

Thank you for the replies! That gives me something to work with, hopefully saves me some headaches as well haha

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Formatting W7 PC

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.