News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Framework DIY Laptop

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Framework DIY Laptop

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Every part is replaceable, upgradable… even ports ! A screwdriver come with the laptop.:-)

Linux or Windows OS.

https://frame.work/

..Along with socketed storage, WiFi, and two slots of memory, the entire mainboard can be swapped to boost performance as we launch updated versions with new CPU generations.

High-use parts like the battery, screen, and keyboard are easy to replace. QR codes on each item take you directly to guides and the listing in our web store.

In addition to releasing new upgrade modules regularly and ensuring replacement parts are available, we’re opening up the ecosystem to enable a community of partners to build and sell compatible modules through the Framework Marketplace…

anonymous

I like the concept although ‘100% yours’ is not entirely true if you want Windows 10 on it 🙂

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

I like the concept too, but the devil will or will not be in the details. This is going to be a niche item, so my guess is that it will be a lot more expensive than a commodity-priced non-modular laptop with the same specs. How reliable it is will be another question.

I do applaud attempts to fight back against planned obsolescence, though. I keep my items a long time (my Asus F8 laptop was in daily service for nearly ten years), and I hate the idea that I am supposed to throw away good electronic devices because they’re artificially obsolete as a means to try to make me buy another one.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.21.4 User Edition)

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Framework DIY Laptop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.