News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Free Win7/8 to 10 in-place upgrade still available: nothing has changed

Posted on georgea Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Free Win7/8 to 10 in-place upgrade still available: nothing has changed

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

geekdom 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

georgea
      AskWoody Plus

Despite the end last month of the Windows 10 Upgrade “for Users of Assistive Technologies” offer, the same “in-place upgrade” method still works.  Run the “Setup” from the Win10 installer from an activated W7 or 8 system, and you end up with an activated W10 install.  No keys need to be entered.  I just did this today with 1709 on a very old Win7 PC; I couldn’t find anything saying this still worked, so I figured I’d put this out there…

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #173195 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

assuming you already have a genuinely activated Win7 SP1 or Win8.1 OS (retail or OEM edition) [not sure about Win8.0], you can still upgrade to Win10 for free [any release of Win10 including the 1703 release and older ones]

edit: I make sure that I do an “offline” in-place upgrade of Win10 over Win7/8.1, meaning I run Win10 setup when no internet connection is available (unplug any ethernet/LAN cables, disable WiFi/WLAN adapters or set the laptop into airplane mode); do NOT make in internet connection during Win10 setup, otherwise you may be forced to create a Microsoft account. then after Win10 is installed, I then establish an internet connection to activate Win10.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by
         EP.
      • #173213 Reply

BobbyB
        AskWoody Lounger

do NOT make in internet connection during Win10 setup, otherwise you may be forced to create a Microsoft account. then after Win10 is installed, I then establish an internet connection to activate Win10.

Wise advice indeed and works a treat for clean installs too Gives you a lot less hassles should you wish to make adjustments to Win10 updates, drivers, etc before the OS starts downloading apps and stuff you might not want.
        A “Local Account” is always a good idea to start with and if you want to add an MS Account later its very easy, in fact almost too easy alas.

• #308731 Reply

georgea
      AskWoody Plus

Update: this still works as of January 10, 2019 for ver 1809. Just grab the media creation tool and let it rip on an existing licensed W7 or 8 system. You don’t need to disable the internet connection during the upgrade – the option to skip a Microsoft account during setup [and create a local user account] is still there if you are paying [very] close attention.

1809 wants you to create password recovery question/answers. The ONLY way to avoid that is to NOT enter a password during setup. Then once setup is complete, you can go back and create a password for the account.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #308756 Reply

anonymous

Even better, if you do a clean install of any Windows 10 build on a machine with a valid Windows 8.x product key in its BIOS, it activates automatically without you doing a thing. Assuming you’re using the same SKU of course. I find it hard to believe that this isn’t intentional.

• #308761 Reply

anonymous

I was wondering about that.  Maybe same for OEM bios key for Win7?  There’s no doubt that all of this is intentional, given that it’s been in wink wink mode for a long time now.

• #308769 Reply

georgea
          AskWoody Plus

Ummm… Oops, that was me, I was logged out. Seems login is not persistent.

• #308794 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve upgraded several Dell OptiPlex computers in the last couple of months from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and all of them activated automatically without my having to do a thing. They each had a Windows 8 sticker on them, so evidently Dell shipped these computers with Windows 7, utilizing Windows 8 “downgrade” rights.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #308836 Reply

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Weird, what’s under the hood.

Group G{ot backup} Win7 · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Free Win7/8 to 10 in-place upgrade still available: nothing has changed

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Comments are closed.