• Free Windows 10 Upgrade Still Possible

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 8.1 » Windows 8.1 – other » Free Windows 10 Upgrade Still Possible

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Apolyptica.
    Author
    Topic

I have two Win 8.1 laptops and an 8.1 desktop and yesterday I decided, what the heck, I’m going to try to do the free Win 10 upgrade.

Keep in mind I am decently knowledgeable but not particularly computer savvy.

I found step by step instructions at pcmag.com (article written this Nov), used an external hard drive to back up my files then proceeded to download the installation file from Microsoft’s Download Windows 10 website.

I decided to try this first on my desktop as it has the least amount of files to back up and to my utter amazement I was up and running Win 10 only in a matter of hours!

Next I moved onto the Dell laptop, did the upgrade and it worked. It took longer but went without a hitch.

I finished the night by upgrading the old ASUS laptop. That also took awhile and this isn’t a lightning fast laptop as it only has a Celeron processor but I do use it alot as it has a cd/dvd drive. By midnight all three were now Windows 10 machines.

So much to my shock (and joy) I now have all three former 8.1’s running Windows 10 and it didn’t cost me a cent.

Now the article mentions signing into windows with  a microsoft account but I do NOT have one and it still worked. I did make sure I wrote down the MS Product ID numbers just in case I needed them (all three are OEM) but fortunately I did not.

So although it did take the entire day to upgrade all three I am relieved the process went smoothly (still shocked at that) and all of my files were retained.

"An analog kid in a digital world"

Win7 Ultimate home built desktop Running 0patch Pro

Win 8.1 desktop & two 8.1 laptops (just updated to Win 10)

Win 10 Dell desktop

and two very old home built Win XP desktops (offline for use with an old Epsom Photo scanner)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

It’s up to you if you want the supposed benefit of using an MS account. Many here do not and have no issues using Windows.

cheers, Paul

I certainly have no interest in having an account with Microsoft.  I still get the occasional nag screen on my original Win 10 pc asking me to set up an account and I just click the “Remind Me Later” button. Been doing this for years and I suspect I’ll be doing it on my newly upgraded computers as well.

I just thought it might be helpful let others know that the upgrades worked for me without having an account

"An analog kid in a digital world"

Win7 Ultimate home built desktop Running 0patch Pro

Win 8.1 desktop & two 8.1 laptops (just updated to Win 10)

Win 10 Dell desktop

and two very old home built Win XP desktops (offline for use with an old Epsom Photo scanner)

1 user thanked author for this post.

I just thought it might be helpful let others know that the upgrades worked for me without having an account

Upgrading a system with local account doesn’t require creating Microsoft account and there won’t be any nags to create one.

Requirement for creating Microsoft account is part of clean install. That too can be workedaround.

I certainly have no interest in having an account with Microsoft.  I still get the occasional nag screen on my original Win 10 pc asking me to set up an account and I just click the “Remind Me Later” button. Been doing this for years and I suspect I’ll be doing it on my newly upgraded computers as well.

You can disable those reminders. Uncheck the following options like in the screenshot :

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Still Possible

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: