News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Freeware Spotlight — DISM_GUI

Home Forums AskWoody blog Freeware Spotlight — DISM_GUI

• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        Deanna McElveen
        AskWoody_MVP

Best Utilities By Deanna McElveen It’s the little things that make me happy. Little electric bills, little chocolates, and little utilities. DISM_GUI
        [See the full post at: Freeware Spotlight — DISM_GUI]

2 users thanked author for this post.
        BATcher
        AskWoody_MVP

Deanna: given the complications of which you speak with the supplied software in the .7z (7-Zip) file format, have you ever thought about providing the installation as a .ZIP file, which Windows could open natively?

Although this may be a question for the original author…

BATcher

Ascetics go without, mystics go within.

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Highlighted this a few weeks back in the askwoody tools section great little portable app.

@Batcher
        , converting the .7z file to a .zip will create different checksums and create an avenue for hackers. Better to stick to what the original author provides, as I noted.

NOTE: The download file is in .7z format

Remember to AV check and verify the hash files provided prior to running using you preferred checksum utility. (uppercase hash)

The fact that this isn’t even mentioned in this newsletter article as a security/validity check, is not my idea of a good computing practice to follow. YMMV

Validity/security checksums are available over on: https://www.paehl.de/dism-gui

W10, the itch you simply cannot scratch!
        2 users thanked author for this post.
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Is the DISM++ valuable tool also? Its a GUI tool for DISM as well.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

DISM++ Depends on what you want to do, it’s a deep delving all-in-one powerful advanced tool.
          Works well here on Win7/ 8.1 and has done for a few years now.
          Although some script commandlets don’t work as intended for newer versions of W10, probably down to MSFT changing things to ‘protect’ their OS.
          IOW, DISM++ needs updating for newer versions of W10.

DISM_GUI is a shortcut interface click’n’go program containing commandlets instead of typing them in to PS or Cmd Prompt.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            doriel
            AskWoody Lounger

I played with DISM++ tool in the past and I noticed, that it has enormous ammount of possibilities, I hardly knew about lot of them. So it was like using Lamborghini to go shopping. Ill definatelly have a look at DISM_GUI.

Alex5723
              AskWoody Plus

DISM++ needs updating for newer versions of W10

Won’t happen.

Dism++: Switch to maintenance mode

A short note about the software tool Dism ++. It looks like this tool won’t be developed further – the developer wants to concentrate on the maintenance of the basic library. In other words, the project switches to maintenance mode. But another developer has spun off a new project.

But Deskmodder mentions that another developer, MouriNaruto, wants to continue the project under a different name. The name of the project is “Nit – A Windows Image Tweaker based on DismCore”. The project has already started on GitHub. The new tool should be based on the core of DISM++, because MouriNaruto has the permission of the original developer.

The ‘Nit’ project doesn’t seem to go farward for the last 16 months.

DISM++ was developed by Chinese developer.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Alex5723.
                doriel
                AskWoody Lounger

Microfix wrote:

Although some script commandlets don’t work as intended for newer versions of W10, probably down to MSFT changing things to ‘protect’ their OS.
                IOW, DISM++ needs updating for newer versions of W10.

I agree, Its hard to find some solid troubleshooting tool, when Windows changes so frequently. Thats why Im mostly sceptical about these tools, I think they could break something, because its not how it was when the tool was released. I prefer commandline or powershell.
                But DISM_GUI looks so basic, so it could be foolproof.

But can it survive constant Windows changes? Some similar tools are outdated quickly, as we agreed here.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Is the DISM++ valuable tool also?

It is a real neat utility.

Deanna McElveen
        AskWoody_MVP

Microfix is correct. This is just a way to use the Microsoft’s DISM commands without typing them. It’s doesn’t stray from those basic commands like DISM++ does.

Alex5723, you really had me excited about Nit. I hope they move forward with it.

Deanna

OlderGeeks.com

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Alex5723, you really had me excited about Nit

yeah, your avatar expression shows it. Nevemind, alex5723 will come up with something else, probably ‘portable’ too so you can add to your collection 🙂

chasrome
        AskWoody Plus

Too bad.  Extracted with 7zip and flash and gone nothing more.  Sounded good though.

rd23
        AskWoody Plus

How does this relate to the one described in “DISM GUI is a graphical interface for the DISM Command Line Utility” at the Windows Club?

(My intitial post was blocked as spam, so I retried with less detail.)

paulp575
        AskWoody Plus

Does this work with Win 7 (yes, I know about Win 7 support has ended and I should upgrade; working on that).

b
          AskWoody MVP

No, Windows 7 doesn’t have all the same DISM options as Windows 10.

rd23
        AskWoody Plus

What I was trying to clarify, but ran afoul of the spam filter, is that the Windows Club article had a link to C o d e P l e x, which has a link to “DISM GUI moved to GitHub” on “Mike C’s Tech Blog” so we should clarify if we are talking about the ancient “mikecel79” program, or the “DISM_GUI by Dirk Paehl” the newsletter is talking about.

paulp575
          AskWoody Plus

When I clicked on the link the software came up. When I clicked on the author’s home page (or website?), it opened “DISM_GUI by Dirk Paehl” so I think the newsletter is referring to the newest version.

17Soldiers
        AskWoody Plus

Deanna
        I downloaded DISM_GUI unzipped it and clicked on it and it opened up but when I click on any of the first 7 buttons a cmd window opens with just a cursor flashing, no text, and then it closes.
        I even went to the original website and grabbed a copy from there but still no joy.
        Has anyone else had this problem?

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Freeware Spotlight — DISM_GUI

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.