News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Freeware Spotlight — TweakPower

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Freeware Spotlight — TweakPower

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  OlderGeeks.com 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Tracey Capen
      AskWoody MVP

BEST UTILITIES By Deanna McElveen PC “cleaning” tools have had a long and often notorious history. Many of these apps were little more than marketing
      [See the full post at: Freeware Spotlight — TweakPower]

• #1952567 Reply

JohnH
      AskWoody Plus

Greetings: When I clicked the TweakPower v1.072 link on the Oldergeeks.com website (http1://www.oldergeeks.com/downloads/file.php?id=1963) using Firefox 69 on a Win7Ent machine I got the error in the attached screen shot.
      I don’t recall ever seeing an http1 protocol call before, but that’s not saying much 🙂
      Any advice?

Attachments:
      • #1952577 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

That’s just a bad link at the top of the page. Use the huge “Download now” link at the bottom of the page. (See “Always scroll to the bottom of the page to download files on OlderGeeks.com.” just under the bad link.)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #1952580 Reply

JohnH
          AskWoody Plus

D’oh!! When all else fails, read the directions… thanks!

• #1952579 Reply

Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

Greetings: When I clicked the TweakPower v1.072 link on the Oldergeeks.com website (http1://www.oldergeeks.com/downloads/file.php?id=1963) using Firefox 69 on a Win7Ent machine I got the error in the attached screen shot.
        I don’t recall ever seeing an http1 protocol call before, but that’s not saying much 🙂
        Any advice?

@johnh,

Please send Randy and Deanna (the old geeks) an email stating this. Include your OS version and what browser you used. I know they would appreciate it.

thegeek@oldergeeks.com

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1952584 Reply

JohnH
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, but I was just a bit hasty… I was going to send some cash along after I checked it out (honest!) but had to get the finger-wagging first. I’ll have a crack again when I get a chance…

• #1952642 Reply

OlderGeeks.com
          AskWoody Plus

See recent post in this forum.

-Deanna

OlderGeeks.com - No ads, no crapware, no b.s.

• #1952641 Reply

OlderGeeks.com
      AskWoody Plus

Program opening in German?

We been getting messages about this. It happens when you are either in Germany, using non-tracking software, do not have location services on or you’re near a steamy plate of Struddle. 😉
      The program detects what country you are in to use the correct language. It defaults to German if it can’t figure it out (Author is in Germany). Click OPTIONS in lower left and change to English in the program.
      -Deanna
      OlderGeeks.com

• #1952798 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

The program detects what country you are in to use the correct language. It defaults to German if it can’t figure it out (Author is in Germany). Click OPTIONS in lower left and change to English in the program.

My Desktop installed in English but my laptop continually installs in German. Location is turned off in both. I clicked options and I clicked the arrow and chose English but nothing changes, it stays in German???

TweakPower-Options

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  CADesertRat.
        • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  CADesertRat.
        Attachments:
        • #1952817 Reply

CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

Never mind, I clicked the German word in the lower right side which evidently means “Apply” and it is now in English, LOL.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
          4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #1952811 Reply

rc primak
      AskWoody_MVP

Note also that Zimmermann at his site hosts three other freeware programs. Two of these are targeted at hard drive tweaking and the Windows Registry. I haven’t tried any of these programs, so users are on their own. But do make a full system image backup and know how to restore it from boot media if you use any of these products. They are powerful and can damage Windows to the point where it won’t boot.

Site:

https://kurtzimmermann.com/index_e.html  

-- rc primak

• #1953019 Reply

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

I played with TweakPower for a bit. My conclusion is that you are much better off with less rigorous software if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
        Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · RAM 8GB · Firefox: uBlock Origin - NoScript · HDD · Canon Printer · Microsoft Security Essentials · Windows: Backup - System Image - Rescue Disk - Firewall
        • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  geekdom.
    • #1952812 Reply

OlderGeeks.com
      AskWoody Plus

To switch language.

TP1
      TP2
      TP3

Attachments:
    • #1952994 Reply

anonymous

When I ran the .exe the first time it immediately changed the fonts on my desktop, I mean before the GUI even opened. So the natural question was, “What else did it change without asking me?” Had to re-image the computer to be sure. I know you are trying to do good in this world but this was not a positive experience for me.

• #1953023 Reply

OlderGeeks.com
        AskWoody Plus

I would start by checking your computer for malware that may be hijacking your downloads. TweakPower has a perfect VirusTotal score and a clean bill of health from Malwarebytes. The author also confirmed this. The only thing that may or not be on your computer was already there before you ran this program. It was tested on 5 of my systems and several of our editors computers. Kurt Zimmerman is a hard working, generous and talented guy. Let’s be sure of these types of allegations before dragging his hard work through the dirt.

-Randy

OlderGeeks.com

6 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1953138 Reply

zvbxrpl
      AskWoody Plus

The program will not run on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit desktop system. When I choose a section of the program, and attempt to run it, parts of the program window turn white, it freezes, and stops responding to icon clicks.  Tried both 64 and 32 bit versions with same results.  Running AVG and Malwarebytes, and problem occurs even when both are turned off. System runs all other programs without error. Any suggestions?

• #1954499 Reply

rc primak
        AskWoody_MVP

It looks like AVG is protecting the Registry and possibly your System Files and Folders. Also, AVG may suspect this is a hacker program, and may have it blacklisted.

If Windows Defender were your only AV program, the Protected Folders options would need extensive exceptions for this type of program to work. Or, suspend Protected Folders (switch it off and restart) while tweaking with this or any other deep-dive system tweaking program. Switching Protected Folders back on after using this program should not mess up anything.

This underscores the fact that you’d better know what you’re doing before messing with system tweaking programs. Also,make sure you have an image backup and know how to use the Rescue Media you have created and tested before starting.

-- rc primak

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  rc primak.
    • #1954555 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

I gave it a go:

TweakPower

Not much there for me.  Uninstalled it.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Attachments:
    • #1954617 Reply

anonymous

Some of the Optimize settings broke my user profile. Windows logged me into a Temporary profile. Had to uncheck all the Optimize settings I had checked (about 7-8) and then restarted and regained login to my user profile.

Based on this, would not recommend.

• #1957234 Reply

OlderGeeks.com
      AskWoody Plus

There is an update to TweakPower which might fix some issues a few of you were having.

https://www.oldergeeks.com/downloads/file.php?id=1963

-Deanna

OlderGeeks.com

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Freeware Spotlight — TweakPower

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.