News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Fresh Install (Group B) best way to do it

Posted on Alloneword Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Fresh Install (Group B) best way to do it

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Alloneword
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m about to embark on a fresh install of win 7 U x64 and will be sitting in Group B but i’m unsure how this is going to work given i suspect i will be offered roll up option.

If my info is right i should still avoidthe following:

KB2952664/KB3150513
      KB3021917
      KB3022345
      KB3068708
      KB3080149

but how can i do this if they are part of roll up?

I want to stay as safe as i can but without all the snooping any and all advice is welcome on the forthcoming process and what i should look out for.

Thanks

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #203442 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Hello Alloneword,

Just did this, myself, not long ago.

Here are PKCano’s instructions for Group B.

Although the Security Only Updates from October 2016 are rollups, they are rollups of security only patches and they haven’t introduced telemetry… and Group B patches have been cleared by Woody through June 2018. July’s are too new to know what problems may lurk there.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #203484 Reply

Alloneword
      AskWoody Lounger

OK thanks for the reply Elly it would seem i need to do a fair bit of reading before i go any further so many thanks for the link and i’ll come back if i have any further questions.

All1

• #482675 Reply

Alloneword
      AskWoody Lounger

Can i ask if elly link and PKCano method is still the best way of doing a fresh install of 7 and updating and keeping in group B (only sec updates), i know it’s not long till it dies but i still want to stay as long as i can on 7 and hopefully updates will still come along, after the official death date?

All1

• #483024 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

There is a new servicing stack since that method was written. You should install KB4490628 in place of the older KB3177467. But basically, that is still a good method.

• #483553 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

I followed this method a few weeks back from a Win7 SP1 Pro x86 installation CD albeit substituting for ‘Group A’ patching and encountered no issues other than one out of sync patch which was fine once all the patching was completed.
        I tend to hide the patches I don’t want prior to installing any but, that’s just a personal preference. Security Monthly Quality Rollups for ‘group A’ are a breeze and still updates ok. I didn’t update to the most recent SMQR as it was MS-DEFCON 2 at the time.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #483391 Reply

Alloneword
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the reply just wondering if i should grab the 4 or 9.1mb version?

All1

• #483580 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Are you referring to the Servicing Stack? If so you should use the one for your version of Windows and your bitedness.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Fresh Install (Group B) best way to do it

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.