News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Fresh install of Win-10?

Posted on CWBillow Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

I wanted to start fresh with a clean install of Windows.  That caused two issues.

First it wouldn’t let me install from the DVD.  Do I have to delete that partition and “start over”?

Then, I have for years used a name for my primary account that has/had a space — “OL Man” — don’t laugh!.  It wouldn’t let me do that either.  Then when I was trying to figure that one out, I was trying to set up a user with different versions to see what would work, but it wasn’t asking me for a user name, only an email or phone number.

I had figured out a way around the name issue, but not if it isn’t going to let me set up user names, but phone numbers or emails instead.

Are there workarounds to these items?

Chuck Billow

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2298058 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

What does “it wouldn’t let me do it” mean?
        Does the install start at all?
        Are you trying to do a clean install or in-place upgrade?
        Do you get an error message?

--Joe

• #2298231 Reply
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Two things…

1. A genuine ‘clean’ install means wiping the previous partition info… otherwise it’s not really ‘clean’.

2. Your device needs to be disconnected from the internet during the install to avoid Microsoft’s insistence on providing email/phone info during the OOBE (Out Of The Box Experience) process that creates the first Windows account (and adds it automatically to the ‘Administrators’ group).

Hope this helps…

• #2298304 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

@Joe

I was/am trying to do a clean install, and used my W-10 DVD,but it wouldn’t install.  It gave me some error about an inability to write to the disk.

@Rick

So I should, after of course backing up, delete the partitions and then let the W-10 install set it up from scratch, with any adjustments I might need to be done afterwards?

I made the mistake when I first installed the W-10 DVD of not backing up JUST the login and user info so that I could always if need be go back to a plain install.  I always get ahead of myself and start adding “stuff” that down the road I wished I hadn’t.

Chuck Billow

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by CWBillow.
      • #2298315 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

If Windows can’t write to the disk it may be a disk driver issue. Is the disk controller unusual? RAID/other?

cheers, Paul

• #2298318 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

Paul, I cannot really answer that question.  The laptop is an HP off-the-shelf, so I would think not.

But, thankfully, the only thing on that platter is the Windows install.  So if I have to totally remove everything, partitions et al, it isn’t really at risk.

I just remember (Windows 7?  10?) being able to boot from a DVD or an USB, and reformat the “C” drive and reinstall.

Although the extra steps wouldn’t be the end of the world, the error was a bit disconcerting.

Chuck Billow

• #2298327 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

I just thought of something else:  Since this PC is registered electronically — no serial # — if I do a clean install, will my registration still work?  Will I need to log in with my current Microsoft credentials or can I change my log in name and still pick up the registration?

Chuck Billow

• #2298334 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

will my registration still work?

Yes. Registration is save on the PC.

• #2298354 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I was/am trying to do a clean install, and used my W-10 DVD,but it wouldn’t install.  It gave me some error about an inability to write to the disk.

Are you sure you have selected to proper HDD as target and the upgrade hasn’t tried to write on the DVD ?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Alex5723.
      • #2304051 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Alex.  I got it to work from a USB.

Chuck Billow

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Fresh install of Win-10?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.