News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Friday night quick patching recap for business patchers:

Home Forums AskWoody blog Friday night quick patching recap for business patchers:

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Friday night quick patching recap for business patchers: Windows Server 2016 SSU – has been recalled and been replaced with KB5001078.  This fixes the
        [See the full post at: Friday night quick patching recap for business patchers:]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Not to deny those issues, but giving the there are some sensible things patched this month (like the TCP/IP RCE one) I rather apply the updates sooner this month. The nearly 1-month wait is out of the table for me, it would be a week at most. Also, I specially recommend people with Win7 ESU to do it just now.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Win7 ESU patched with SMQR KB4601347 has been running fine since 9th Feb here. No error logs whatsoever in Event Viewer, SFC no violations, no telemetry re-introduction, local printer works fine if that is any help.
          I’d agree on the TCP/IP point of view, which is why I took the plunge immediately after reading the patch documentation and suffer any consequences later.
          More info on Born City
          excerpt:

The two critical RCE vulnerabilities (CVE-2021-24074, CVE-2021-24094) are classified as complex and difficult to exploit. Microsoft believes that attackers could rather exploit the DoS vulnerability (CVE-2021-24086), which is rated as important, to create DoS exploits. Attackers could then trigger BlueScreens on the Windows system via network packets.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Threat Brief: Windows IPv4 and IPv6 Stack Vulnerabilities (CVE-2021-24074, CVE-2021-24086 and CVE-2021-24094) (paloaltonetworks.com)  got a firewall between you and your network?  Your firewall probably already is blocking these types of connections.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
            anonymous

Even if it does, it is not always recommended to put all your faith on it, more when you read in PAN-OS case specifically they are on the news rather frequently with critical or high vulnerabilities.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

got a firewall between you and your network? Your firewall probably already is blocking these types of connections..

Is there a Windows OS system without a firewall between the PC and a router/network ?

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

What are you asking / suggesting?
          Windows comes standard with a firewall, although it probably won’t stop these attacks from an internal source.

cheers, Paul

Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

This was a response for Susan’s : “got a firewall between you and your network?”

nazzy
        AskWoody Lounger

“Windows server 2003 will probably fail.”

Regarding the above statement, our 2016 DCs are patched up to January 2021,  we have a Win2003 R2 member server joined to the domain.  I have not seen a single error for IDs 5827, 5828, 5829  as of today and going back to last Sept.

Does this mean our 2003 server will not be impacted by the DC enforcement?

Susan Bradley
          Manager

I don’t have one so I can’t confirm.  Others have told me the 2003 should fail – but I have a Windows 7 without an ESU and like you said, not a single hiccup in the event logs.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Friday night quick patching recap for business patchers:

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.