News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• From bad to worse: A repair goes awry

Home Forums AskWoody blog From bad to worse: A repair goes awry

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Fred Langa
        AskWoody MVP

LANGALIST By Fred Langa Sometimes, well-intentioned repairs can actually make things worse than before. That’s what happened to a reader who was tryin
        [See the full post at: From bad to worse: A repair goes awry]

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

This maybe something from old school, but don’t you have to re-make some settings (Bios?) after removing or replacing the Motherboard battery?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v20H2 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
          Tex265
          AskWoody Plus

Did some more research, the battery powers the CMOS which keeps various elements of the BIOS/UEFI alive.  Some fixes require removal of the CMOS battery in order to reset the BIOS/UEFI.

Perhaps Fred can discuss further.

Windows 10 Pro x64 v20H2 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
        Chris B
        AskWoody Plus

Does the computer give you a warning that the battery is dead, or do you have to guess?

Chris
        Win 10 Pro x64 Group A

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

I’ve never seen it give an error message when it was dying, but I haven’t had one die on a PC that is anything close to new! You’ll notice it when the realtime clock resets to its baseline date each time you turn the computer off. The UEFI settings should be stored in NVRAM and should not be dependent on the battery to keep alive in a modern system.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.1 User Edition)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Chris B
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks @Ascaris On that basis, I don’t think my battery died on my last PC, replaced at 8 years old.

Chris
        Win 10 Pro x64 Group A

WSoldgeek42
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Fred for knocking it out of the park in your May 10<sup>th</sup> article about the BIOS battery. My almost 7 year old Dell 8100 started taking forever to boot after a shutdown several months ago.  I did all the usual things to resolve this (forums, msconfig, startup, SFC/scan, autoruns, etc., etc.).  Solution, go get a cup of java while the system crawls through its bootup.

Then flash, your article.  The BIOS battery never even crossed this old geeks mind and I have worked with computers since Univac II (1965).  Dementia creeping in me thinks.  Anyway, installed a new battery and whamo no more forever bootup.  Another jewel Fred.  Thanks.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: From bad to worse: A repair goes awry

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.