News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Frustration when entering postal adresses

Posted on WSMartinM Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function MS Outlook and email programs Frustration when entering postal adresses

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        WSMartinM
        AskWoody Lounger

This frustration has been around for ages and finally I am seeking help !
        When I enter someone’s home address in an Outlook (2010, but it was the same in previous versions) contact, Outlook has a mind of its own when assigning the various parts of the address to its fields. Some instances:

1. When I enter a home address in New South Wales, Australia, the city shows as New South and the region as Wales
        2. Often, but not always, without my entering anything, the business address has an entry of United Kingdom, my home country, which I don’t want
        3. Etc etc etc

I can usually correct these unwanted assignments using the field view but this is tedious in the extreme, not least because the view doesn’t distinguish between raw, individual fields and concatenated ones. And when I have finished, Outlook still sometimes changes assignments I have made when I Save and close.
        Slightly easier, sometimes the Check Address dialog comes up and then I can make the correct assignments fairly easily.
        So my question is how can I force the Check Address dialog to appear ?
        Or is there an altogether better way of managing all this nonsensical automatic reassignment and simply entering data into the appropriate fields and making sure it stays where I put it ?
        Thanks

• #2017065 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus
      • #2017229 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Or is there an altogether better way of managing all this nonsensical automatic reassignment and simply entering data into the appropriate fields and making sure it stays where I put it ?

Well, yes… several ways actually.

You might be able to define a custom view for contacts that has the direct fields visible and editable, but last time I tried that it crashed Outlook. Also I’m not sure which versions of Outlook have that method available, mine was a 365 subscription version.

Or you could use something other than the Outlook application interface for that task.

There’s for example https://itmicah.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/add-contacts-to-outlook-using-powershell-and-a-csv-file/ … use the Outlook COM interface with PowerShell, feed data straight into the correct fields. I believe that should work even if the Outlook address book is local only.

If the address book is on a server you might be able to use another application to do this part. That’s what I do – Thunderbird with TbSync is what I use with Office365 …

Should be able to deal with an Exchange server directly with PowerShell at least, other kinds of servers might have other selections of available tools.

• #2018363 Reply
        WSMartinM
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the replies.

So I am working on two fronts and will post back if I have any success:

1. I had already written code in Access to import contacts from Outlook – turned out to be easy once I had found the Outlook field definitions. I’ll have a go at reversing that process.
        2. I have never tried to create a custom view – I’ll also give that a go.
      • #2022683 Reply
        WSMartinM
        AskWoody Lounger

Well I played around with “Custom views”. Easy enough to create one, but two (fatal ?) issues:

1. It’s just a view – I dont seem to be able to use it to add/amend data in the fields that are displayed.
        2. Curiously, although I added some of the home address fields, they are all blank for existing contacts – the only one that is populated is the field called “Home Address” which is a concatenation of the individual home address fields. As it is the individual  fields I need to adjust, this approach seems useless . . . unless someone knows better ?

Am I missing something fundamental here about how Outlook processes the individual address fields perhaps ?

Martin

• #2039933 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

It’s just a view – I dont seem to be able to use it to add/amend data in the fields that are displayed.

There’s a checkbox in View Settings -> Other Settings called “Allow in-cell editing” – does that help?

Curiously, although I added some of the home address fields, they are all blank for existing contacts – the only one that is populated is the field called “Home Address” which is a concatenation of the individual home address fields. As it is the individual  fields I need to adjust, this approach seems useless . . . unless someone knows better ?

Well which version of Outlook are you using and what do you have for backend for the contacts?

I just tried this on Office 365 monthly Outlook 1911 12228.20364.

For my contacts filled through the server into specific fields, and if I start typing into any of the subfields directly, the Outlook “Home Address” field does show a concatenation of the Home Address subfields. Same for the “Business Address” and subfields, etc… but the non-specific “Address” field doesn’t get autofilled to any of the preexisting home/business/Other address fields.

I can change most of the fields but the street fields don’t accept input even with “Allow in-cell editing” on. And if I change any subfield on one of the specific address types, the non-specific “Address” field gets then filled from what type I changed.

So yes, it is inconsistent and also somewhat weird.

Didn’t check to see what happens if there’s both “home” and “business” types of address prefilled on server but the nonspecific one still empty, and I’d change some field…

• #2022829 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Which country do you have selected at Control Panel, Region, Format?

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

• #2022850 Reply
          anonymous

United Kingdom is selected

• #2022941 Reply
            b
            AskWoody Plus

So that’s apparently why your entered addresses default to UK locations (according to the information linked in the first reply.)

Try selecting English (Australia) there and then see what happens when you enter New South Wales in an Outlook contact address.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2023024 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

I have a horror story about not being able to put in the correct address, and it had nothing to do with Outlook – it was completely the fault of the US Postal Service.

Back in the 1980s, I was a student at a university in a small town near where I lived. The university had a post office, so I got a box there in order to be able to receive mail. But there was one problem – our zip code was not listed in the national zip code directory! Also, there was a post office downtown which had many of the same box numbers as the university post office (for example, my box number was in both post offices), and it had a different zip code than the university post office.

Time after time, when I would create an account (credit card, etc) with a company, and put the university zip code as part of my address, my mail would start coming to the other zip code! Apparently these companies did zip code checking on their databases, and they would always “correct” my zip code whenever they found the “wrong one.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        • #2037060 Reply
          wavy
          AskWoody Plus

Did they get it right ??

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
          • #2037151 Reply
            MrJimPhelps
            AskWoody_MVP

I’m sure they have by now!

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
            with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Frustration when entering postal adresses

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.