News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • FTDI installation issues

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 hour, 49 minutes ago.

• Author

anonymous

Using V 1903 of Win 10.

Installed latest FTDI drivers. No prior FTDI drivers installed. Myself and others get a common notice in both the COM and USB port “Events” section of Device Manager.

Win 10 shows the following message in Device Manager COM port “Events” details section that reads:

Device FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+47514789A\0000 requires further installation.”

When I connect the USB cable I get an error message from the application that states:

Failed to read test echo from FTDI device.

Thus it appears that even though there are no error exclamation symbols and everything is reported functioning properly something is amiss.

A search online shows Microsoft reports this as an “ongoing issue”

Has anyone had the problem and resolved it? Removing and reinstalling the FTDI drivers does not resolve the issue and the USB port works fine for other devices such as memory sticks.

• #1978064 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Yeah, have seen no end of trouble with FTDI devices. On any versions of Windows 10, really.

And it’s not even always the same symptoms. Have to do things like unplug those when rebooting, particularly if installing an update; randomly have to move to another physical port or it stops working, …

• #1978547 Reply

anonymous

Windows 10 has problems… FTDI also has a problem with counterfeit chips. FTDI also in the past have bricked those cloned chips. Could this be kinder gentler countermeasures against faked chips?

• #1978868 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

The problem with that, there’s no practical way for the end user to verify that the FTDI chip in whatever device is genuine.

And these are often very expensive and specialized medical or industrial equipment.

• #1979359 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

Not a direct help but considering what is said here of Prolific drivers:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide

See if you can find a mitigating technique here:

Basically maybe older drivers are needed because the chips in the USB/Serial cable in question are for some reason (including counterfeits from china) not being recognized by newer.

😐

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #1979405 Reply

anonymous

Thanks for the info. The chip appears to be a legitimate 232 chip but the real and fakes look very similar. I understand the genuine is laser engraved while the fakes are printed. With the printing so small it’s difficult to tell what is what even with typical magnification. I suspect the true issue is a Win 10 update malfunction as described in the MS forum.

You’d think they’d know how to update their software properly but I believe the last several Win 10 updates have been defective with some being recalled and a new update being issued which turned out to break something else in the O/S.  🙁 It’s getting to be a lot of hassle to use Windows.

• #1979602 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

My point was that even though it may not be a fake chip an older driver may be of help.
      And good luck with M$ 😜

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #1979825 Reply

anonymous

I tried the device on a different PC with a different version of Win 10 and it seems to install properly so it definitely appears to be an MS issue. The software for the device requires the latest FTDI drivers unfortunately.

• #1979871 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ve also seen a case where one of these worked on one PC and failed on another, with the exact same Windows 10 build and same device-specific software package.

Different major PC brand name, motherboards made in different countries…

Oh well. It’s not like RS232 was ever free from such problems either. Hasn’t been a month from the last example of that, either.

• #1980226 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

Maybe different USB drivers?

🍻

• #1984824 Reply

anonymous

Well I found a solution that may help other folks with FTDI messages similar to the post above. Seems as though Windows frequently fails to fully install updates or installs them improperly without any error messages. When this happens installation of new drivers or existing drivers may show normal but they will not function properly. Below is a link from the MS Windows 10 forum that may prove useful. I ended up doing a media creation “up date” and then when the FTDI drivers were installed the device finally functioned properly.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/i-have-win-10-v-1903-installed-and-i-get-the/f8e98d77-cc7b-49da-a7ac-59ec36b24c25?tm=1571356948589

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: FTDI installation issues

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.