News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • FTP Client for Windows 10

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

When I was on a Mac, I could read but not write to FTP servers using the Mac’s built-in file manager (the Finder). I had to turn to a third party FTP option such as Panic’s Transmit.

Now that I’m back on Windows, do I need to install a third party FTP client, or can I read/write to FTP servers using File Explorer? I “thought” I had accessed an FTP client through Windows Explorer back on Vista or Windows 7 in the past.

Additionally, is there any good reason to install a third party FTP client (such as CyberDuck) in addition to using the FTP client built into File Explorer if it is already built-in?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

• #1578040 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

I use the free FileZilla[/url].

--Joe

• #1578063 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

+1 for FileZilla

cheers, Paul

• #1578104 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

Ditto. I’ve used CuteFTP from Globalscape since back in about ’99 or ’00, have it on a Desktop and a Notebook but using FileZilla on others.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #1578138 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Sounds great! I’ll give FileZilla a spin. Thanks!

Nathan Parker

• #1578315 Reply

orangehat
      AskWoody Lounger

I’m a fan of winscp (www.winscp.net).

• #1578372 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Sounds good. I’ll compare it to FileZilla and see what I want to do. Thanks!

Nathan Parker

• #1580768 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Additionally, is there any good reason to install a third party FTP client (such as CyberDuck) in addition to using the FTP client built into File Explorer if it is already built-in?

No: How to Connect to FTP Servers in Windows (Without Extra Software)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1580787 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

When I was on a Mac, I could read but not write to FTP servers using the Mac’s built-in file manager (the Finder). I had to turn to a third party FTP option such as Panic’s Transmit.

Now that I’m back on Windows, do I need to install a third party FTP client, or can I read/write to FTP servers using File Explorer? I “thought” I had accessed an FTP client through Windows Explorer back on Vista or Windows 7 in the past.

Thanks!

That’s the “beauty” of Windows, when applications become more popular or useful they tend to find their way into Windows, hasn’t always been that way which is the reason third-party software was necessary.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"
    • #1580835 Reply

Coochin
      AskWoody_MVP

By about 1998 I had tried several then-available FTP programs which worked quite well. But when I tried “Windows Commander” I was so impressed I bought a licence for it and ever since it is one of my most-used programs. About the early 2000s Micro$oft took exception to the “Windows Commander” name, so the author renamed it “Total Commander” (TC). I have since upgraded TC regularly as the author added features and/or bugfixes, and have never been asked to buy any “licence upgrade”.

TC does much, much, much, more than just FTP; TC is probably the best “file manager” there is for Windows and works in all versions of Windows since 3.1 (I have TC [v8.52 Final released September 9, 2015] on all eight of my Windows systems including three Win10 systems). I also have TC on the USB Thumbdrives I use when working on customers’ systems because it saves me having to “jump through hoops” accessing hidden/system files etc.

Check it out: http://www.ghisler.com/index.htm

45725-TC

Attachments:
    • #1580853 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

is there any good reason to install a third party FTP client (such as CyberDuck) in addition to using the FTP client built into File Explorer if it is already built-in?

Well, obviously if you’re getting poor performance from FE’s http://FTP... but you knew that, right? 🙂
      Windows generally includes a basic version of an app–eg Notepad, Backup, etc–which works fine for small or infrequent needs, and leaves it to others to produce advanced apps for advanced needs. I assume Win’s FTP is the same ‘grade’–but dunno, haven’t used it.

I went thru a number of FTP clients last decade, and found some good ones like CuteFTP, SmartFTP, WS_FTP. None great though, until I found Directory Opus as my final file manager [having tried a dozen+ of those too], and discovered its FTP was the best I’d experienced.

If you need to access a number of different FTP sites simultaneously, as I used to need to do for a weekly task, it’s so efficient to click once [on a saved view via taskbar icon r-click], and have them all opened in various tabs–beside the local tabs–ready for file ops.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1580915 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I was thinking Windows did have built in FTP, so I’m glad to see the instructions. I’ll compare it with the other options given here. I don’t heavily use FTP (only occasionally), so I’ll just see how fancy I need to get for my needs. 🙂

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: FTP Client for Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.