News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Fully Qualified File Names

Author
    Topic

Can anyone provide insight about why Microsoft no longer allows fully qualified file names to be used when saving in the Microsoft 365 software?

Last week, I subscribed to Microsoft 365 because I thought it would solve an issue I was having with Office 2010.  When it was time to save the file I entered (example) —

w:\fname  and a warning was received about special characters that could NOT be use in the file name.  In Office 2010 software and elsewhere, I’ve been using this to place files where I wanted them quickly and effortlessly.

Microsoft support was contacted.  The procedure now requires several steps.  I’d like to believe that I’m still reasonably competent but my 80 year old brain does not see any reason to make me jump through hoops.  My fingers move faster than grabbing the mouse, moving it, click a selection, moving it again, selecting and then typing.

If someone can explain how this is an improvement, please do so.

Is there any way to convince Microsoft that for some of us, this “new” process is counter productive?

In the meantime, Office 2010 is not working as well as it did before 365 was installed.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

fsaw805,

Just hit F12 {SaveAs} and it takes you right to where you can type what you want.
      SaveAs-dialog
      Just start typing.
      HTH

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

1 user thanked author for this post.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

I spent about an hour on the phone with a Microsoft tech support person.  He even connected to my computer to demonstrate the process.

I can remember F12 and the old dog does not have to be taught new tricks.

Fred

Viewing 0 reply threads
    Reply To: Fully Qualified File Names

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.