News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• FYI: Win 10 Pro 21H1 and Colors in Command Prompt Windows

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 FYI: Win 10 Pro 21H1 and Colors in Command Prompt Windows

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        TXWizard_2018
        AskWoody Plus

Early this morning, I upgraded my Windows 10 Professional installation to feature version 21H1. I have been running all day, with no significant things to report except one minor annoyance that I solved easily.

The annoyance is that the Colors tab, which one would expect to be the place to go to set the text and background colors of a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) window, appears to remain, but only for show (more or less). You can change colors in that tab all day long, and your display remains stubbornly white text on a black background.

Visit the Terminal tab, which has been there since Microsoft went all in on Linux support, and you can easily change the colors to suit. Though the color selection process looks a bit different, it works quite well, and is easy to use. Now that I discovered this, my command prompt windows are restored to my preferred colors, green text on a black background, just like the good old days when we used IBM 3270 terminals and such.

David A. Gray

Designing for the Ages, One Challenge at a Time

bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

The Colors tab works fine for me.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

Use the Properties option to change the ‘Screen Background’ colour. Close CMD, then reopen to see the change.
        If you I use the Defaults option, no changes are made.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

I right-clicked the Command Prompt shortcut, selected properties (as the OP infers), selected the Colors tab, and made the change.  I’m also running 21H1.

CMD-Properties

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

bbearren

Your method works when I use a CMD shortcut > Properties. However, using your method doesn’t keep the change of the background when I access CMD via the Start Button > R/click Command Prompt options.
        This is why I posted an alternative way, that I do know works (at least for me), for other viewers who may have the same happening.

Note: I have opted to show CMD options instead of the default Powershell Commands.

bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

For the sake of clarity RE my reply to the OP:

The annoyance is that the Colors tab, which one would expect to be the place to go to set the text and background colors of a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) window, appears to remain, but only for show (more or less). You can change colors in that tab all day long, and your display remains stubbornly white text on a black background.

I was replying to “FYI: Win 10 Pro 21H1 and Colors in Command Prompt Windows”.  My upgrade to 21H1 does not have that issue, the Color Tab works as it always has, nothing has changed.

In addition,

Your method works when I use a CMD shortcut > Properties. However, using your method doesn’t keep the change of the background when I access CMD via the Start Button > R/click Command Prompt options.

Using the Properties > Color Tab in my upgrade to 21H1 results in a stable Command Prompt color setting, and it does not revert.

In other words, this is not a universal issue with “Win 10 Pro 21H1 and Colors in Command Prompt Windows”.  For me the color change using the Properties > Color Tab is stable.

Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

What ever

anonymous

Thank you for your perspective. While your experience differs from mine, I thought it was worthwhile to post my observations as an early adopter of 21H1.

I wonder whether your upgrade path and mine were the same. I upgraded from 20H2. What was your previous version?

bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

I wonder whether your upgrade path and mine were the same. I upgraded from 20H2. What was your previous version?

My upgrade path is “fully updated”, and never a clean install (except on purpose-built bare metal).  In other words, as soon as an upgrade is made available to the general public, I upgrade.  I’ve upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to 8 Pro, 8.1 Pro, and every iteration of Windows 10 Pro.

I don’t pause or delay upgrades/updates (I block driver updates via Group Policy), I go for it as soon as available.  I have regular, current drive images to fall back on should any update/upgrade prove untenable, but so far, none have.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: FYI: Win 10 Pro 21H1 and Colors in Command Prompt Windows

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.