News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Game recommendations.

Home Forums Outside the box Fun Stuff Game recommendations.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

Lugh 4 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author

Anonymous

This is a thread for game recommendations whether they be on Steam, Origin, consoles, phones, board games, what have you.  I’d like to reccomend a couple of games.
      Euro Truck Simulator 2 – A relaxing game where you drive semi trucks across Europe.
      Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition – an open world RPG. I think everyone is familiar with Fallout. I don’t think this one gets nearly enough attention.
      Ori and the Blind Forest – A really beautifully made indie platformer. One of the best games I ever played. Really good story, graphics, and gameplay.
      Cry of Fear – A really dark psychological FPS horror game. This one has a really good story. It’s free. There are some frustrating parts, but thankfully they’re few and far between.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #107851 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody_MVP

Here is two of my favorite games of all time. It doesn’t matter if they are not new, they are good.

X-Com UFO Enemy Unknown. You need to first learn how to play the game by playing it at a reasonable level, then you go the hardcore mode and try to survive until the end. That is the way to play it where you hands will sweat because you really don’t want your soldiers to be killed. No second chance and reloading saved games. Play smart and beat the game.

Planescape Torment. A wonderful, relaxing, intelligent game that looks like a RPG, but actually offers a very interesting story and purpose and don’t suffer from the weaknesses of the usual RPGs.

• #170747 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Plus

One of the first things I noticed when I got Windows 7 was the Chess Titans chess game.  I think it’s great.  I think it’s on Vista too but I went right from XP to 7 so I didn’t know about it. I’ve never been a really good chess player but this Titans version looked so good it got me playing again.

I started playing it in 2013 and little by little I’ve gotten better.  I can win playing against the computer at level 3 now.  This may not be so great since there are 10 levels, but I’m happy playing it and am striving to eventually make it to level 5.  Who knows, I may even go past that.

I’d recommend Chess Titans to anyone who likes to play chess.  I’m not sure if Win 8 or 10 have it though.

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Group B

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #325180 Reply

Lars220
      AskWoody Lounger

News Flash: “Microsoft Solitaire game to get a new feature on Windows 10”. I was looking for an appropriate place to post this important piece of information, so I hope ‘Outside the Box – Fun Stuff – Game Recommendations’ will be OK (?) Personally I do not use the Windows 10 app games because they seem to either have advertising or cost money after the trial level, or both.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/02/12/microsoft-solitaire-game-to-get-a-new-feature-on-windows-10/

I prefer the Winaero Win7 games for Windows 10 game pack. The _v2 version pack works ok on my Win10 v1803 install, although the ‘Game Explorer’ folder has been removed, and I had to re-install the games when I updated from 1709 to 1803. Be sure to get _v2 if you want to give the old Vista / Windows 7 games a try on Windows 10. Read more about it:

https://winaero.com/blog/windows-7-games-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

https://winaero.com/blog/games-folder-windows-10-spring-creators-update/

Have fun

• #325317 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

I just finished playing Crysis & Crysis Warhead—well, their first halves, I can’t stand the second halves of either, the alien sections. I replay them at least once a year. Open world FPS with a cool ‘nano suit’ which gives you enhanced powers—armor or speed or strength or invisibility.

If you like the Far Cry open world FPS idea, give FC Primal a try. It’s set in 10,000BC, and the world is beautifully recreated. Bee bombs, your own sabretooth tiger ally…

My fav RTS is C&C Generals Zero Hour. It’s not at all connected to the main C&C universe, but has great gameplay in the slower-paced style of the golden age of RTS. 9 different Generals with very different strengths & specialties, eg air force, chemicals, massed armor.

Fav 4X TBS is Civilization 4 BtS. 1-2-3 never grabbed me, I like 5 & haven’t played 6—but 4 with Better BAT AI mod & Full of Resources map pack is infinitely customizable & variable. Complex interlocking economic, political, military, culture, technology & religion systems—easy enough to mess around with in the lower of 9 difficulty levels.

Fav puzzles are Portal 1&2, The Talos Principle and The Turing Test.

My fav smaller game series is Royal Envoy—there are 4 of them, get the Collectors’ Edition (I never get CEs, but this time definitely worth it). Single-screen builder ‘time management’, just brilliantly done—all have 1-hour demos available.

There are finally decent digital versions of the great Euro board games starting to appear—I haven’t tried any yet. Favs are Carcassonne & Ticket to Ride.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 2 x 256G SSD, 4TB HD

• This reply was modified 4 days, 22 hours ago by
         Lugh.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Game recommendations.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.