News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • General background knowledge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 General background knowledge

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  joep517 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

whayen
      AskWoody Plus

I have been playing with computers of all sizes (room size mainframes to smart phones) since 1972 but have been retired for 10 years now.  I used be knowledgeable about a lot of topics – my coverage was miles wide but only inches deep.  Now, I am searching for a good inexpensive reference material about current topics.  Your newsletters talk about updates to Microsoft Server software, stacks??? and other terms that leave me wondering if I should even be aware of these topics on my HP ENVY laptop with a half-dozen external harddrives containing 30 TB of data that I consider valuable but my kids in a few years may consider junk.  I am a 70 year old trying to keep current but sliding behind on this task.  Can anyone help me with a suggestion.  Googling these terms only gets me so far.  Thanks.

• #1912278 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Windows 10 all-in-one for Dummies, 3rd Edition” by our own Woody Leonhard.
      It will take you through the basics. But he doesn’t re-write it every six months, so once you get familiar with Win10, then you will need to keep up with each new version.

AND, there is a lot of reading material here in the Windows 10 Forums.
      Enough to keep you busy for a WHILE.

• #1912366 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

There is also the Windows 10 Field Guide by Paul Thurrott and others. It is updated freely with each Windows 10 release. I think that Windows 10 version 1909 (or whatever it will be called) is the last free update for this version of the book. Not sure what the cost will be for a new version after Windows 10 version 1909.

--Joe

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  joep517. Reason: fix url
    • #1912387 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

There is also Windows 10 Inside Out (3rd Edition) by Ed Bott and Craig Stinson. On that Amazon page, you’ll see many other Windows 10 books.

--Joe

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: General background knowledge

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.