News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • General Patching Guidelines Draft

Posted on geekdom Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Testing Forum General Patching Guidelines Draft

Topic Resolution: Not a Question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  geekdom 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

This thread is currently a rough draft for general patching guidelines. When a final version is complete, I will request rough draft removal and this draft should disappear.

As an explanation, in an earlier thread:

We’ll be addressing that in the site re-design (say, in the next month or so). There are different needs for different groups of users — most people need a green light/red light system, while advanced users and admins face a more nuanced situation.

Emphasis will be placed on user skills and DEFCON number:

• backups and usage
      • restore points
      • rebooting

The above three criterion will be used to determine user skills and some instruction or links will be provided for making backups, using restore points, and booting up.

My goal is to make this instruction sheet readable and useful — one that those at all skill levels can use to determine if patching is safer for them.

My understanding is that there will be different DEFCON levels for each Windows operating system. My own skills are limited to Windows 7, but I will attempt to include information on how to block updates until ready, make backups, boot up, and set and use restore points with references and links to the AskWoody site and applicable to all operating systems.

Source for some preliminary conversation:

Patch Lady – issues with out of band on 1607

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
      Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · RAM 8GB · Firefox: uBlock Origin - NoScript · HDD · Canon Printer · Microsoft Security Essentials · Windows: Backup - System Image - Rescue Disk - Firewall
      4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #318151 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

This topic remains a work in process. Specifics need to be provided for Windows backup and recovery, restore points, and when to employ these methods. Phrasing is currently awkward and will be revised as necessary.

Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · RAM 8GB · Firefox: uBlock Origin - NoScript · HDD · Canon Printer · Microsoft Security Essentials · Windows: Backup - System Image - Rescue Disk - Firewall
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #318291 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

General Patching Guidelines
      Version 1.1

This thread is currently a rough draft for general patching guidelines. When a final version is complete, I will request rough draft removal and this draft should disappear.

As an explanation, in an earlier thread, woody wrote:
      We’ll be addressing that in the site re-design (say, in the next month or so). There are different needs for different groups of users — most people need a green light/red light system, while advanced users and admins face a more nuanced situation.

Emphasis will be placed on user skills and DEFCON number.

Definitions and Windows versions will be provided. Instructions and links will be provided for:
      – blocking updates
      – backups and usage
      – restore points
      – rebooting

The above criterion will be used to determine user skills.

My goal is to make this instruction sheet readable and useful — one that those at all skill levels can use to determine if patching is safer for them.

My understanding is that there will be different DEFCON levels for each Windows operating system. My own skills are limited to Windows 7, but I will attempt to include information on how to block updates until ready, make backups, boot up, and set and use restore points with references and links to the AskWoody site and applicable to all operating systems.

This topic remains a work in process. Specifics need to be provided for Windows backup and recovery, restore points, and when to employ these methods. Phrasing is currently awkward and will be revised as necessary.

Definitions
      – GWX
      – Seekers

Windows Versions
      – Windows 7
      – Windows 8.1
      – Windows 10
      https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10/release-information

Blocking Updates

– Windows 7 GWX Blockers Third-Party Software
      Never10
      https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
      GWX Control Panel
      http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

– Windows 10 Update Blockers Third-Party Software
      Windows Update MiniTool
      https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_update_minitool.html
      WUMgr
      https://github.com/DavidXanatos/wumgr

– Whole Banana All Windows Update Blockers
      https://www.computerworld.com/article/3331304/microsoft-windows/microsoft-is-yanking-patches-already-make-sure-automatic-update-is-disabled.html

Backup Information

Information on backups will be provided starting with Windows backup instruction including:

how to create system image
      how to create a system repair disc
      how to use the system repair disc to boot and system image to restore files on an inert computer

Other reliable backup packages will be listed as options, but no instruction will be provided regarding third-party backup packages.

Prior to patching, make backups and know how to use them in the event of computer failure.

Restore Points

Instructions will be provided for:

turning on restore points
      setting restore points
      using restore points

Restore points restore software to a previous state.
      Restore points do not restore data.

Prior to patching, a restore point should be made with understanding of usage.

Booting Up

Complete instructions for computer boot failure were provided by mrbrian this link:

2000009: Getting out of a no-boot situation after installing Windows updates

Have a plan, and make sure you can employ at least one method of rebooting an uncooperative computer.

Sources

Patch Lady – issues with out of band on 1607

Brinkmann, Horowitz: Are remnants of the despised “GWX” Gets Windows 10 campaign still on your Win7 computer?

Is yesterday’s .NET Preview, KB 4481031, being pushed onto 1809 machines?

Patch Lady – new releases for Windows 10

How to absolutely, positively block the forced upgrade to Win10 1809

Windows Update Manager (WuMgr)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #508866 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

The scope of this topic has changed.

Future direction of this topic will include for everyone:

1. Methods of rebooting your computer when normal reboot fails after update.

2. Methods for restoring your computer when your computer is corrupted after update.

These two steps will be mandatory recommendations. Prior to any updates, you must know how to reboot and recover system.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1860470 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

Further notes:

• These days, regardless of operating system and version, it’s best to defer updates until DEFCON-3 is issued. For each operating system, the means of deferring updates differs (usually from moment to moment).
      • There are two methods of reading the DEFCON rating:
      • — Susan Bradley method
        — Woody Leonhardt method

Susan Bradley method is related to system administrators who are responsible for installing or maintaining multiple computers for a large group of people. System administrators must be informed and test thoroughly prior to mass installation. System administrators are skilled computer practitioners and generally job related.

Woody Leonhardt method works with individuals whose skill sets vary from plugging in a computer to building a computer. The approach is more cautious and it’s best not to be ahead of the curve unless you like testing (with the risk of borking your computer).

If I have missed how these two methods are employed, please let me know here. It’s important to know that patching mom’s machine is not quite the same as patching the entire company’s machines.

Master Patch List is at the top of AskWoody for handy reference.

• #1862949 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

MS-DEFCON Curve

MS-DEFCON

Those who have a limited skill set will probably always automatically patch immediately.

Those who are beta testers will want to patch immediately

Those between limited skill set and beta testers will want to follow the MS-DEFCON rating.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  geekdom.
      Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: General Patching Guidelines Draft

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.