News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • General Patching Guidelines Draft

Posted on geekdom Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Testing Forum General Patching Guidelines Draft

Topic Resolution: Not a Question

Tagged: 

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by

geekdom 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

This thread is currently a rough draft for general patching guidelines. When a final version is complete, I will request rough draft removal and this draft should disappear.

As an explanation, in an earlier thread:

We’ll be addressing that in the site re-design (say, in the next month or so). There are different needs for different groups of users — most people need a green light/red light system, while advanced users and admins face a more nuanced situation.

Emphasis will be placed on user skills and DEFCON number:

• backups and usage
      • restore points
      • rebooting

The above three criterion will be used to determine user skills and some instruction or links will be provided for making backups, using restore points, and booting up.

My goal is to make this instruction sheet readable and useful — one that those at all skill levels can use to determine if patching is safer for them.

My understanding is that there will be different DEFCON levels for each Windows operating system. My own skills are limited to Windows 7, but I will attempt to include information on how to block updates until ready, make backups, boot up, and set and use restore points with references and links to the AskWoody site and applicable to all operating systems.

Source for some preliminary conversation:
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/patch-lady-issues-with-out-of-band-on-1607/#post-241977

Group G{ot backup} Win7 · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · TestBeta
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by
         geekdom.
      3 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: General Patching Guidelines Draft

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.