News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Gmail “not logged in” alert

Posted on Slowpoke47 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Slowpoke47 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Anyone else having any oddities with Gmail?  Dell desktop, Win7HP x64.  Over the last month or two, logging into my account often produces a yellow banner across the top of the messages page with variations of “not logged in” when in fact it does seem that I am logged in.  These messages typically disappear in 10 sec. or so.  Also, a couple of times (most recently today) instead of the familiar log-in screen a welcome screen appears offering to set up a gmail account with various add-ons, etc.  There is no provision on this page to log into an existing account.

The only way I could see to get into my account was to close and re-open Firefox and hope for the best.  Today, this worked.  But for future reference, I bookmarked the gmail log-in page in case this glitch recurs.

Slowpoke (group B)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1482536 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I suggest to go to your Google account (https://myaccount.google.com) settings and change your password. Your account may have been hacked.

• #1483563 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

This may not solve anything, but I sometime run these in Firefox when there are anomalies:
      – clear all applicable cookies – here: Google
      – clear Cache
      – optionally delete the Password(s) involved, and let them be recreated
      This way I know that these items are clean.

• #1486130 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks both for replying.

Another oddity I neglected to mention- those who use gmail know that if you add a star to a message in the inbox, it goes to a “starred” (natch!) list.  I’ve done that an untold number of times.  Today when I starred a message, it went missing from the inbox.  Eventually found it elsewhere, but it took two or three tries to get it to stay in the inbox.

Slowpoke (group B)

• #1511742 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

You could also go to Settings>Advanced> and reset (clear down at the bottom). I had to do that once and it’s a pain but it helped me to get Chrome back under control.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #1513308 Reply

Slowpoke47
        AskWoody Plus

You could also go to Settings>Advanced> and reset (clear down at the bottom). I had to do that once and it’s a pain but it helped me to get Chrome back under control.

Thanks for your suggestion – actually, I just finished looking at that.  For the first time today I grabbed a s/shot of one of the messages:

Went thru a couple of screens from the “learn more” link which led me to look at what you suggested.  I have no advanced settings enabled.  But Google did show two gmail service outages in the last several days.  No details on those.  Trying to get some sense of whether this is an isolated case or whether it is more common.

Slowpoke (group B)

• #1514056 Reply

CADesertRat
          AskWoody Plus

Sorry, I re-read your original post and just noticed that you are accessing gmail through FireFox. I use Chrome hence my instructions, so FireFox may be your problem because gmail is working fine for me through Chrome (although it has been a little slow the last couple of days).

• #1514462 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

My screenshot in #1513308 seems to have become lost.  Trying again…

Gmail-error-message

Slowpoke (group B)

Attachments:
      • #1515948 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

I have seen your screenshot a few times on my own computers and it has always been one of two things, either gmail itself is having problems or my internet (ISP) is having problems (slow or sporadic).

• #1516229 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

I don’t use Gmail, but I have seen that message before, and every time this has happened because of a problem, such as one of those pointed out by CADesertRat, with connections to Web sites, be it on the Internet’s side (my own browser, router, ISP…) or on the site’s side.

• #1529691 Reply

anonymous

I had an issue which kept giving me this “oops…” issue in gmail when I was having an issue with my wifi adaptor. It kept dropping my internet connection briefly which prevented the page connecting back to google. When this happened I had problems labelling emails (possibly a similar issue to your starring problem).

I tried a number of different wifi adaptors, all had the same issue (it seems that later versions of windows 10 don’t play nicely with realtek or atheros wifi adaptors) and had to resort to ethernet cabling.

• #1527200 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Gmail is my main email account, but accessed thru desktop Outlook. I haven’t had any problems with it. So Gmail itself is working fine, at least on the servers serving me in USA. I agree with…

one of two things, either gmail itself is having problems or my internet (ISP) is having problems (slow or sporadic)

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1585361 Reply

Slowpoke47
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks to all who responded.  My takeaway from these posts is that nothing sinister seems to be going on, just an occasional pothole in the cyber road.

Slowpoke (group B)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Gmail “not logged in” alert

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.