News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • GMail problems using Windows 10 Mail program

Posted on WSjudson Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function MS Outlook and email programs GMail problems using Windows 10 Mail program

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        WSjudson
        AskWoody Plus

On my brand new computer with 2004 and all the latest updates, Windows 10 Mail seems to not play nicely with my GMail account. I find that every so often, it refuses to sync the GMail account while my other accounts sync successfully. (Hotmail, outlook.com, local account.)

I’ve removed the GMail account repeatedly from Windows 10 Mail and reinstalled and it then works for a while. I find that I can no longer follow the suggested  procedure since there is no Advanced mailbox settings for the GMail account. I can get to the Advanced mailbox settings on my local account but it is not available for GMail.  Is this a Google vs. Microsoft thing?

Suggested procedure: (From the Mail app click on Settings -> Manage Accounts -> <your email account>. From the Account settings dialog, select Change mailbox sync settings, and then scroll down to the bottom of the dialog and select Advanced mailbox settings to display the incoming and outgoing email servers.)

Have you heard this before?
        Thanks.
        wsjudson

• #2297121 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

If you are trying to set the GMail account up as IMAP in the Mail App, there are settings in GMail online to enable IMAP.
        Log into your GMail account online through a browser and look at “All settings” under “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” and be sure you have it enabled. You might graze through the other settings while you are at it just for FYI.

• #2297151 Reply
        WSjudson
        AskWoody Plus

Hi, PKCano.

I did check the forwarding and POP/IMAP via a browser, and it is enabled. It has to have been enabled to work sometimes. However, the GMail instruction on configuring my email client apparently hasn’t caught up with the new Windows 10 Mail app. On Windows 10 Mail, the app sets up gmail accounts automatically, and there is no option for me to set up iMAP ports and smtp settings. Apparently Microsoft removed that part from my control and does it their way. The instruction for Advanced mailbox settings is available however, when I check the settings of my local account. For that one, I do find the Advanced mailbox settings where I can enter ports and SSL settings.

If you have a chance to set up a Gmail account in Windows 10 Mail, go to the settings and see for yourself. You’ll see that there is no Advanced mailbox settings option.  Or tell me why I can’t find the link to it. ;-(  Thanks.

• #2297156 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

I have never used any of the Win10 Apps. I use Thunderbird for mail on Macs and all versions of Windows because I know it works.

But there has to be settings somewhere in the App to correct mail setup. Look at your other accounts and find (don’t change) where their settings are. Even after the App sets things up for you, you should be able to make changes. That is true of all the other mail programs I have ever worked with.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Geo
      • #2297461 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I do find the Advanced mailbox settings where I can enter ports and SSL settings

What is currently setup on that page? (screenshot?)
        Does it match the Google instructions?

cheers, Paul

• #2297479 Reply
          anonymous

That wasn’t for the Gmail account.

• #2297597 Reply
          WSjudson
          AskWoody Plus

Hi, PaulT.

I’m inserting snips of the Gmail account setup and the local account setup. As you can see, there’s no option for advanced mailbox setup for Gmail. The hotmail account and the outlook.com account setup are the same as the Gmail account setup as well. Apparently MS doesn’t want me to mess with those.

Yes, I know I should change mail programs, but I’m stubborn and determined to get this to work. ;-(  You all agree Thunderbird is the best?

Attachments:
          • #2297602 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

I have removed the screenshots with your email address and email server (personal information) for security reasons. Please repost with the personal information marked out.
            Thanks.

• #2297619 Reply
            WSjudson
            AskWoody Plus

Ouch. Sorry for the scribbles.

Attachments:
      • #2297488 Reply
        Geo
        AskWoody Plus

Thunderbird is the way to go with G mail.  Automatic set up with no problems.Has a nice look  about it.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Geo.
        • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Geo.
      • #2297711 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That is definitely showing the lack of configuration you described – not that we didn’t believe you.  🙂

Next time sync stops, try turning off sync, restart mail and turn it on again.

cheers, Paul

• #2297842 Reply
          WSjudson
          AskWoody Plus

Sometimes you just have to prove your point. 😜

Yes, I will try turning off sync. Might then restart the computer first and then turn it on again. For now, it’s working for the last few weeks, and I’m just monitoring my Gmail via my phone, so I’ll notice if it suddenly stops syncing with 10 Mail. Thank you much.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: GMail problems using Windows 10 Mail program

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.